Imac Wont Startup

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ukefc01, Jul 28, 2016.

1. ukefc01 macrumors newbie

Hi. My switched off my Imac yesterday and when I came to switch it on today it wont start up. There's no sign of life at all.

I have taken out anything that is connected and still have the same problem.

If I pull out the power cord from the back of the mac and then plug it back in and press the power button, there is a noise like it is about to start up but then it just lapses back into silence and stays powered down. So it doesn't appear to be a power cord issue.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

You could try reset the SMC. To do this:

1) Pull out the power cord
    2) Press and hold the power button down for 5 seconds
    3) Let go of the power button
    4) Plug the power cable back in and try turn it on again

3. LovinKansas macrumors newbie

Quick question, what year is your iMac? General model information. Just curious as I recently lost a 2010 27" i5 iMac and have a bunch of info on what I found out. If yours is very new, my data is mostly likely not applicable.

4. ukefc01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - it didn't work unfortunately.

5. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

OK, when you try to turn it on again, please can you immediately press and hold CMD + ALT + P + R on your keyboard? Continue to hold those keys down for about 30 seconds.

6. ukefc01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi. It's an early 2008 model. I believe these are the specs: http://apple-history.com/imac_early_08

7. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

I'll take a -guess- that your power supply may have gone bad on you.

Hopefully some other suggestions will be posted here, but to be honest since it's now eight years old, probably not worth putting much money into it.

Time to start shopping for something new, or perhaps an Apple factory-refurbished unit. They are "as close to buying new" as you can get, and you even get a full 1-year warranty with them.

8. ukefc01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Same result I'm afraid - it kicks into life for a second then dies again