iMac won't turn on - 10.10.3, late 2012

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Eoin85, May 10, 2015.

1. Eoin85 macrumors newbie

Hi, I have been having real issues with my iMac, I was running 10.10.1 and the Mac was restarting unexpectedly, it didn't matter if a programe was running or not. Started in both safe mode and guest user and still restarted. I tried all the different resets SMC etc, still restarting. Then for a few hours no restarts, I manged to download and update to 10.10.3, although fans were running full speed seemed to be ok, but now it started restarting again. Now about 3 days later it won't turn on at all, no reaction from pressing and holding the power button. I have tried different power sockets and leads.

Other issues I was having during this process were black screen at start up and flickering screen with resolution not quite right, showing really cropped images of the home screen to now nothing.

I have removed 3rd RAM upgrade and vacuumed (low power) the vents. I have no recent back ups due to my maintaince lacking.

Any advice would be greatly received, I would like to try to resolve without a fresh restart or taking to a shop.

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

If the iMac won't power on at all then there is a hardware issue. I would suggest taking the machine into a Apple store to be looked at.

3. Eoin85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks for the response. I think I'll wait to see for any other suggestions before I bite the bullet. Cheers.