IMac won't turn on but...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hemmick reef, Sep 8, 2012.

1. hemmick reef macrumors member

Just bought a new imac. I've been using it for a week. This morning it would not turn on. I checked all the leads but they were ok. I turned it all off from the wall and tried again... nothing. That little button on the back of the imac did nothing. I thought ok blown fuse.
    I decided once more but this time I turned on my keyboard and trackpad first by pressing their connect buttons. I then tried the imac and it turned on.

Faulty hardware ?

2. John5796 macrumors newbie

That is a strange thing to happen. My wife and I have also had our iMac's about a week and all has been great. So far, we have never turned off the mice, keyboards or trackpads, so don't know if that could have caused your problem. Also, we let the computer sleep when not not in use as opposed to shutting it down. I've set them up to turn on for 3 hours at 3 am so the maintenance scripts can run. Since we just switched from lifelong Windows users, afraid I do not know what your problem could be. One of the more experienced Apple users may have an answer.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's strange behaviour, and as it's such a new machine I'd be inclined to call Apple. I leave my MM and BT KB on and connected, even when the imac sleeps...This shouldn't make any difference during power on though. If it happens again, call Apple.

4. kaielement macrumors 65816

Might be a stupid question, but was the computer plugged into a serge protector? if not could have been shorted out while turning off or on. Also have you tried to hold down the power button sometimes that can work. I would maybe unplug it and let it sit for a day or two so that all the power can be sure to have gone out of it then try it. in some rare cases that can work as well.

If you have only had it for a week and it's acting up you are still well with in the warranty and Apple should fix or replace it for free. Guess it's time for a trip to the Apple store.

5. hemmick reef thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help.

No surge protector and I've tried holding the button.

I actually moved because of frustrations with Windows to an iMac... read on though... there is a longer story with all of this.

I bought an iMac 6 weeks ago and it developed a grey band along the bottom of the screen. Also running Adobe Illustrator CS6 was slower than running CS3 on my 4 year old PC. So this is my second iMac in 6 weeks. The grey band, although very slightly visible on this new one, is much better than on the first iMac. Adobe Illustrator is still poor though - screen lag issues.
    I have come to the conclusion that my nice new iMac is not really powerful enough to run Adobe Illustrator.

Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
    Software OS X 10.8.1

6. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

Replace it again. It happens, I've heard of people being satisfied with their 3rd or 4th iMac... sometimes it happens, bad batch from factory. Remember, this is forum, people come here when they have problems. 95% of purchased Macs run great, I have had 4 Macs for past 2 years, had no hardware failure, kernel panic only twice (on two machines).

7. fa8362 macrumors 65816

You should rethink your conclusion. Your computer could be 3 times or more less powerful and be more than enough to run Illustrator.

8. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

I agree. I'm waiting for a new iMac, but my early 2008 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro with 4GB of RAM runs it perfectly fast. No lag whatsoever. Maybe if he's doing stuff with tons of transparency, etc, but usually that just affects file sizes.

9. hemmick reef thread starter macrumors member

Yes I realise this. I am mystified but Adobe support and Apple through their trouble shooting advice have been unable to help.
    I am using Illustrator with small files and they are only b/w line drawings that I produce.

I use a Wacom tablet but the problem still exists when using a mouse.

If anybody could suggest anything else to look at I would appreciate it.

I know the topic has changed a bit, but it is all part of the same problem that I am having with trying to get an iMac to work properly.

----------

Which version though?