iMac won't turn on?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by LostSoul80, Aug 16, 2010.

1. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Hi all,
    my iMac won't turn on - seems dead. It's a white one (out of warranty), and am taking it to a genius bar near here. I think it has to to with the internal power supply, could that be? Doesn't sound like a logic board problem, as it won't turn on. Also, will I have to pay for the genius bar?
    Thanks in advance

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Look at my sig. Try removing the power cord and pressing the power button down for a few seconds (SMU reset) then replug back in and try.

3. LostSoul80 thread starter macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Already tried resetting the SMC :( I've also tried reinstalling the RAM, cleaning it up, but nothing.
    It did something similar the day before yesterday, but yesterday was fine... I don't understand what's happening

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Probably a hardware failure, PSU or logic board.

5. LostSoul80 thread starter macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Yeah. But if it was the logic board, shouldn't the computer at least turn on partially, maybe showing something here and there and making some noise?
    I suspect (and hope) it has to do with the power supply, as hopefuly they won't ask much money :(

6. DisneyRicky macrumors regular

DisneyRicky

Try This...

Be sure to have everything unplugged when you turn it on. Mouse, Keyboard anything in the USB/FireWire ports. This happened to me once, it was because of a USB Drive.

7. LostSoul80 thread starter macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Hi Ricky,
    already tried :( it has been unplugged from everything for a few hours now. It seems dead, though I can hear a tic, tic, tic, like a timer or something. It has never had any problem...

8. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I suspect it's broken.
    The computer doesn't necessarily have to partly power up if its a logic board failure. It depends on where exactly the failure is. Sometimes the hard drives and fans will power up. Sometimes not. I don't think there's any way to be certain without taking it apart.

9. LostSoul80 thread starter macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

At the genius bar, they said it's 90% the power supply, and will replace it in 2 days. Actually surprised of their efficency :)