Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
Hi all,
my iMac won't turn on - seems dead. It's a white one (out of warranty), and am taking it to a genius bar near here. I think it has to to with the internal power supply, could that be? Doesn't sound like a logic board problem, as it won't turn on. Also, will I have to pay for the genius bar?
Thanks in advance

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
Look at my sig. Try removing the power cord and pressing the power button down for a few seconds then replug back in and try.

Already tried resetting the SMC :( I've also tried reinstalling the RAM, cleaning it up, but nothing.
It did something similar the day before yesterday, but yesterday was fine... I don't understand what's happening

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
Yeah. But if it was the logic board, shouldn't the computer at least turn on partially, maybe showing something here and there and making some noise?
I suspect (and hope) it has to do with the power supply, as hopefuly they won't ask much money :(

DisneyRicky

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
Northern California
Try This...

Be sure to have everything unplugged when you turn it on. Mouse, Keyboard anything in the USB/FireWire ports. This happened to me once, it was because of a USB Drive.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
Be sure to have everything unplugged when you turn it on. Mouse, Keyboard anything in the USB/FireWire ports. This happened to me once, it was because of a USB Drive.

Hi Ricky,
already tried :( it has been unplugged from everything for a few hours now. It seems dead, though I can hear a tic, tic, tic, like a timer or something. It has never had any problem...

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I suspect it's broken.
The computer doesn't necessarily have to partly power up if its a logic board failure. It depends on where exactly the failure is. Sometimes the hard drives and fans will power up. Sometimes not. I don't think there's any way to be certain without taking it apart.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
At the genius bar, they said it's 90% the power supply, and will replace it in 2 days. Actually surprised of their efficency :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.