Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Hello folks.

I work in a Mac lab and one of our older 27in iMacs bit the dust a few months back. Not sure of the exact year, but it's definitely an intel iMac and still has the disc drive.

At first we thought it may be the graphics card, but the IT guys took a look and there appeared to be corrosion on the logic board. Being that it's an iMac in a computer lab...not really sure how this is possible, but anyway...

It powers on, but shows a gray screen with vertical green lines. In the process of trying to repair it, one of the IT guys accidentally cracked the glass display.

It would also need a new disc drive as one of the previous staffers broke it (don't ask).

So even as I'm typing this, it sounds to me like attempting to repair this (or even taking to apple to get an idea on cost) would be more trouble than it's worth.

I've basically been given the machine so I just wanted to make sure it wasn't salvageable before I recycle it.

macthefork

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2013
Well, it's at least a 2009 iMac. That's when they started making the 27". To find out, look up the number on the bottom of the stand. The glass cost around $139. USD on Amazon. Hard drives are cheap. Although, corrosion on the logic board is a bad sign. Could something have been spilled into the imac from above?

I'd test it by connecting an external drive with an OS to it through USB or firewire. If it doesn't work, or looks like it needs more than a Hard Drive or front glass, I'd recycle it.

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Well, it's at least a 2009 iMac. That's when they started making the 27". To find out, look up the number on the bottom of the stand. The glass cost around $139. USD on Amazon. Hard drives are cheap. Although, corrosion on the logic board is a bad sign. Could something have been spilled into the imac from above?

I'd test it by connecting an external drive with an OS to it through USB or firewire. If it doesn't work, or looks like it needs more than a Hard Drive or front glass, I'd recycle it.
I'll try that. Thanks!

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
Hello folks.

I work in a Mac lab and one of our older 27in iMacs bit the dust a few months back. Not sure of the exact year, but it's definitely an intel iMac and still has the disc drive.

At first we thought it may be the graphics card, but the IT guys took a look and there appeared to be corrosion on the logic board. Being that it's an iMac in a computer lab...not really sure how this is possible, but anyway...

It powers on, but shows a gray screen with vertical green lines. In the process of trying to repair it, one of the IT guys accidentally cracked the glass display.

It would also need a new disc drive as one of the previous staffers broke it (don't ask).

So even as I'm typing this, it sounds to me like attempting to repair this (or even taking to apple to get an idea on cost) would be more trouble than it's worth.

I've basically been given the machine so I just wanted to make sure it wasn't salvageable before I recycle it.

given that that IT department are so good that they broke the screen, maybe they might not be right on whether its corossion thats causing the problem.

the 2011 27" fits your description, admittedly so does the 2010 and 2009 ones. but if its the 2011, then there was a problem with graphics cards and apple has a replacement program for it. the dvd units werent great in that model either, mine the dvd drive doesnt write discs but does read them, the SD slot only reads certain cards, and the screen and the graphics card went recently. thankfully apple repaired both out of warranty for free.

my screen problems started with the screen flickering to black, but also occasional green horizontal lines.

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2007
I'll try that. Thanks!
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203787
iMac (27-inch): AMD Radeon 6970M Video Card Replacement Program
Apple has determined that some AMD Radeon HD 6970M video cards used in 27-inch iMac computers with 3.1GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 or 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processors may fail, causing the computer’s display to appear distorted, white or blue with vertical lines, or to turn black. iMac computers with affected video cards were sold between May 2011 and October 2012.

If your iMac has an AMD Radeon HD 6970M video card and is exhibiting any of the issues described above, choose one of the following options to arrange to have your iMac evaluated:

• Apple Retail Store: Set up a Genius Bar appointment.
  • Apple Authorized Service Provider: Find one here.
  • Apple Technical Support: Contact us for local service options.

Before you go in for service, please back up your data. Learn more about backup options.

If the iMac (27-inch) meets these requirements, Apple will replace the video card free of charge for four years after the first retail sale of the computer.

^^BIGMac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2009
In 2016 I don't think any electronic device is worth "fixing"... buy new young man! :eek:

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203787
iMac (27-inch): AMD Radeon 6970M Video Card Replacement Program
Apple has determined that some AMD Radeon HD 6970M video cards used in 27-inch iMac computers with 3.1GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 or 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processors may fail, causing the computer’s display to appear distorted, white or blue with vertical lines, or to turn black. iMac computers with affected video cards were sold between May 2011 and October 2012.

If your iMac has an AMD Radeon HD 6970M video card and is exhibiting any of the issues described above, choose one of the following options to arrange to have your iMac evaluated:

• Apple Retail Store: Set up a Genius Bar appointment.
  • Apple Authorized Service Provider: Find one here.
  • Apple Technical Support: Contact us for local service options.

Before you go in for service, please back up your data. Learn more about backup options.

If the iMac (27-inch) meets these requirements, Apple will replace the video card free of charge for four years after the first retail sale of the computer.
Ahh. Man, I wish I knew the year on this one. Considering this, I may take it in anyway just to see what they say. Thanks!

In 2016 I don't think any electronic device is worth "fixing"... buy new young man! :eek:
Haha. I already have a rMBP. Just thought this may be a chance for me to get a iMac on the cheap for my home office.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.