iMac x Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'iMac' started by guklein, Jan 14, 2009.

1. guklein macrumors 6502a

The current iMac will run well with snow leopard?

Thanks.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Very much so. You have little to worry about.

3. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Though are there any little things or features that a new imac may benefit using snow leopard? Other than saving $99.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

How would he save $99?

The current iMac is a 64-bit computer. Snow Leopard will be a fully 64-bit OS. It will run in the faster "mode" all the time. Snow Leopard removes legacy code, so it's a lighter OS, and faster again through that. Snow Leopard uses the GPU for more CPU power when it isn't being needed otherwise.

He'll effectively double his operational speed without any new hardware.

5. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Oops, I meant by buying the retail copy as opposed to getting a new machine with it pre-installed, but then I guess he would be spending another $1000+ going that route :p But i blurted that out because that's the situation I seem to be in. I'm in the market for a new imac but I was thinking of whether or not to hold off until Snow Leopard.

6. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

Does this mean those with the intel integrated graphics may not want to upgrade since it uses the graphics card more it could be slower?(hows that for a nice run-on sentence?)

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Mmm... not really. I'm not privy to all the details, but I can see slight benefits even for those. It'll be a case-by-case basis.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

One question. If new iMac comes before Snow Leopard, and ships with current leopard is it possible to buy Snoe Leopard later on? And how much that would cost?

I know, newbie question...

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It will be possible to buy later on, of course.

$129. The same price as anyone else.

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Thanks man

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Also, I HIGHLY doubt that the next iMac update will ship with Snow Leopard, because, come on, making people buy Snow Leopard later on is just more money for Apple.

And for historic backing, the first aluminum iMac shipped with Tiger, and then Leopard came out a month later. No one got anything for free.

12. MacAgent84 macrumors member

I would highly agree with Tallest Skil. We have no guarantees that the new iMacs will ship with Snow Leopard, in fact history has shown Apple to do things contrary to this. I would think that Snow Leopard would be made compatible to all Mac users within a time span of about 4 or 5 years previous.

13. TrapOx macrumors 6502

Snow Leopard won't likely be out until around June or August. The new iMacs def. won't come with it preinstalled.

14. orangejedi macrumors newbie

Ppc?

Quick question - do we know if snow leopard will work on ppc macs or just intel?

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It'll be Intel only, and perhaps only 64-bit Intel at that.

1. There's a thing in your user profile for a signature; don't put it in every post, and don't link to other sites (so basically don't post those links anymore).
    2. Heck, no, it won't. As I said up there, it will be Intel only and probably only 64-bit Intel.

16. capo64 macrumors member

As soon as Snow Leopard comes out, they'll ship all of their computers with it preinstalled, right?

In other words, they won't come out with an iMac, ship it with Leopard, come out with Snow Leopard, and continue to ship their iMacs with Leopard for a while, right?

I hope they're not THAT greedy.

17. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

Of course not, but you may get a Leopard iMac if yours wasn't made after they started shipping them with Snow Leopard. But they will have some kind of deal like the iLife thing where you can get the dvd shipped to your house for 10.00

18. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They did it with Leopard. They'll do it with Snow Leopard.

19. m1stake macrumors 68000

All of the seeds and rumors so far have found that only parts of it are x64. Just like Leopard, it retains some x32 code. x64 isn't by definition "faster" than x32. The OS may be lighter in raw gigabytes of space used, but doesn't necessarily mean it will use less memory or resources (Leopard especially loves memory).

Also, remember that the GPU is excellent at doing specialized tasks very quickly. However, it is terrible at doing many different tasks very quickly. A lot of the instructions and processes that the CPU does simply aren't anywhere near as efficient to do on the GPU, software won't change that.

In general I think it'd be smart to wait until Snow Leopard is actually out before getting too excited about it. You're treating it like it will revolutionize OS X - and it may - but it may not.