iMac yellow screen tint

Discussion in 'iMac' started by missme, Dec 4, 2013.

1. missme macrumors newbie

Hi, Is this a very common problem with the new iMacs? I ordered a new iMac a few days ago. Hoping I wont have to return it :(

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

No

3. missme thread starter macrumors newbie

4. AppleInMyBlood, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013

AppleInMyBlood macrumors regular

I think the jury is still out as to how common this is. It's clearly been an issue with the iMac screens as well as other brands using IPS displays (I've seen reports of the same problem with Dell IPS displays, for example) for years and is not fully resolved.

My new late 2013 27" has a very slight yellowing on the bottom half of the screen, that I doubt I would ever have noticed if it weren't for the other thread! :rolleyes:

I went into an Apple Store to check theirs and every 27" there had a very slight yellowing on the bottom half of the screen.

Mine is such a subtle problem that I'm thinking I'll keep it at this point, since everything else is perfect. Still slightly on the fence, though. I just don't like my chances of getting one with no "yellow" (more off-white really) at all.

The computer is incredible in all other respects and I'm loving every minute with it!:D

5. Taarne macrumors newbie

Just picked up my custom iMac a couple of hours ago. Came home, turned it on, the screen has a lovely yellowish tone to it in the lower half of the panel. Noticeable if you have a background with a light, uniform color for example. D'oh. Called support, they're picking it up next week for repairs. Gah :(

6. missme thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh no! :(
    My iMac is supposed to arrive today. Not feeling too optimistic rn

7. ventuss macrumors 6502

I have returned five iPads because of that problem, so when I ordered my iMac I concerned and not very confident about what to expect. It turned out that I got a great iMac with a wonderful screen. I couldn't be happier.

8. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Remember this is a help forum, users post here when they have problems. Coming here is akin to going to a hospital to gauge the health of the general population, chances are very slim you will have any problems.

9. missme thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point. I hope you're right :D *fingers crossed* haha

10. AppleInMyBlood macrumors regular

The more I examine my screen the more I think the viewing angle is causing most if not all of the off-white/yellow I am seeing at the bottom. I downloaded a colorimeter app (free app called "Colorometer") to my iPhone and measured my screen, and it measured no difference from top top bottom.

11. missme thread starter macrumors newbie

My iMac arrived and everything's fine. Thanks guys!

12. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

Great to hear. After sitting on the fence for a couple months, I pulled the trigger Wednesday. Mine order is being processed. Got a BTO, with the 512 SSD.

13. bradbamford macrumors newbie

my BTO iMac 27 is due tomorrow... I feel like I'm playing roulette.

14. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

Please keep us posted.

15. minimalism macrumors member

After seeing so many yellow tint issues here, I'm very tempted to ask how many of the 27" iMac users are experiencing it versus those that are satisfied.

16. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

My 2009 iMac has a very noticeable yellow tint on the lower third of the screen. The 2013 iMac that I just got has a beautiful screen, consistent color from top to bottom. I am very happy with it.

17. richard13 macrumors 6502a

Do you still have your 2009 iMac? If you do, would you be willing to take some side by side photos of it vs. your 2013 iMac with a white background? I'm trying to figure out if I really have a "yellow screen issue" or if I'm just being too picky about shade and that difference I see top to bottom on my 2013 iMac is normal.

Thanks!

18. bradbamford macrumors newbie

my iMac showed up and has a slight yellow tint on the bottom quarter of the screen. I've seen worse, and most people wouldn't noticed, but it sucks when you can see it.

It's better than the ones I saw in the Apple Store, but not as good as one I saw in Best Buy (perfect).

So, there you go...

19. richard13 macrumors 6502a

But are you keeping it?

20. bushman4 macrumors 68000

This has been a problem with the LG screens for several models over the last few years. Apparently they still haven't corrected it.

21. bradbamford macrumors newbie

I'm still on the fence about it, if there was a good chance a replacement would be better I would do it. However, I think there is just as good a chance that I would get a worse one, and the return process for a BTO is a pain.

22. tomwvr macrumors regular

tomwvr

I got my 27 in in April - best monitor I have ever had - not a single issue here.

Tom

23. tripleg macrumors member

It's the one issue that has me hesitating getting one. Many people have returned 3-4 of them and that's a complication I don't want to have to deal with especially given that my order would be BTO.

I hate paying more but the new Mac Pro may be a safer purchase as I can choose an NEC monitor which I have more confidence in.

24. richard13 macrumors 6502a

Yea, I agree about the return process being a pain. I am on my 2nd one and I just got a good look at it yesterday. I think it's just as bad as the 1st. The yellow tinge is really noticeable under low lighting conditions. If there was a way to find out if they were all like this that would really be helpful because then I would just give up. But I'm thinking about trying one more time. I didn't have any trouble like this with my previous iMac.

25. c481edd macrumors newbie

I had wondered this as well. I was 95% sure it was the screen itself, but to be 100% sure, I laid my iMac flat on a table and looked at the screen upside-down. It was definitely the screen on mine. Congrats on getting a tint-free iMac.