iMac Yellow Tint Clear Next to Cinema Display

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Josh Kahane, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Josh Kahane macrumors 6502

Hi

I have had my 27" iMac since the start of the year and still well within Apple Care warranty (I have 3 years). I just got a 27" Cinema Display the other day to accompany my iMac and only now is it clear that my iMacs screen has a slight Yellow tinge.

I had heard of the problems but I could never realise, my iMac alone looked marvellous, but now its sitting next to my new Cinema Display the colour difference seems pretty obvious. The whites on my Cinema Display are so pure compared to slightly yellowy whites on my iMac.

I have a 2010/2011 iMac.

If I was to contact Apple, would I be entitled to a replacement?

What are your experiences? Thanks.

2. Boogsephine macrumors 6502

Yes, they will fix it. I can't remember the turn around time they said (not TOO long) but they'll replace your display once. Contact your Apple store and set up an appointment before hand and let them know the issue you're having. They will probably ask for your serial number so they can get everything prepared.

Glad you bought the Apple Care too. It's definitely worth it in my book.

3. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

Just calibrate your monitors. No two monitors will look alike.

4. Josh Kahane thread starter macrumors 6502

I had thought about calibrating my iMac to match my cinema display, however two things. Surely if it has a yellow tinge, thats a hardware issue software calibration can't overcome, and secondly, I find it pretty hard to calibrate it correctly, with so many different values to alter its hard to achieve the same.

I gave Apple support a ring, I have to take it to a genius bar and they have to determine if it deserves replacement, then it may be 3 more so days before I can collect it with a new panel. Its tough, my computer is so important and to not have it for that long would be problem.

Tricky!

5. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

I kind of have a feeling the genius will say it is fine or at least within specs. Then you will have lugged it down there for nothing. But I could be wrong.