iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Lightey, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Lightey macrumors regular

I'm going to go buy an iMac tomorrow at either the Apple Store or BestBuy. I wanted to get the higher end 21.5" model, and I was wondering, does Apple carry the i7 model, or do you have to order online to get that one? Thanks.
    (And no, waiting for the next iMac is not an option.)

2. simsaladimbamba

Contact them and ask, if they have one. The telephone number can be found via www.apple.com/retail or www.apple.com/uk/retail, whereas uk can be replaced with your country code.

3. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

You can buy any model that is not built to order in store. You can also check the store nearest you availability online.

4. coolmacoz macrumors newbie

No, you can't just drop in and pickup because it's a CTO (Configure To Order) model and need to pre-order. Generally it takes about 3 days to 10 days for delivery or pickup. Your local Apple Resellers can supply you provide that it's been pre-ordered and pre-paid.

5. RebelScum macrumors 6502

As a rule, the BTOs are web-only. However, some apple stores do carry the i7 models. I know the Eaton Centre location in Toronto had the 27" i7; at least, that's what they told me when I asked.

To be fair, they did not check stock; only assured me they had them. The guy *could* have been mistaken.

6. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

As others have said, the Core i7 option is a CTO-only option and CTO builds are only avaialble from the Apple Online Store (with some exceptions that are available in-store; however, I'd be shocked if a 21.5" i7 iMac would be one of them).

Frankly, I'd skip the iMac and get a MacBook Pro instead, but my anti-iMac stance is jaded (a) because I hate all-in-ones, (b) because I've seen so many fail and (c) because the design prohibits most of the things that make desktops superior to laptops in terms of performance.

7. iSayuSay, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012

iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

A few Apple Retail Store keep iMac with i7 in inventory, but it's really really scarce, maybe only the biggest store could have them, but it's only CPU upgrade though, no extra perks. Those can only done by online CTO.

Yeah, iMac as an all-in-one design literally kill any upgrade possibilities a desktop would normally have, but then again iMac's spec always superior to the Macbook Pro, for the same price you can get better spec off an iMac, the cheapest 21.5" (around $1200) iMac already give you 6750M while on MBP you gotta pay for 15" at $1600 or more to get the same GPU. For the same $1200, MBP can only get you a 13" screen and puny Intel HD 3000 to work with.

In short, you can always call iMac the MacPro Mini, it'll always be better than MBP, spec wise, but it's not the usual-upgradeable desktop either.

8. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

This is what I would do. I have phoned a store before to see if they have stock of something and they were helpful.

9. GoodDogMiami macrumors newbie

Hey RebelScum--what's up with your signature?

I have to ask... Hey RebelScum: I keep seeing your signature: "If at first you don't succeed, do what Apple did. -Samsung CEO." But when I Google this, your reference is the ONLY result I get. Which "Samsung CEO" actually said this? (According to Wikipedia, there have been 8 Chief Executive Officers of the Samsung corporation--in the way that we understand them in Western Culture--since the corporation was formed in 1938.) What was the context in which this quip was spoken by said CEO, and to what audience? Did you just make it up? I can find no evidence whatsoever that your statement has any basis in fact.