Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joko

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
I have the iMac11,1 model built April 2010. I want to run bootcamp but don't necessarily want the latest version of windows to save cost..but will buy it if necessary. So, can anyone tell me what is the oldest and the most recent version of Windows I can run on my iMac..or what's most recommended?

Thanks a lot.

elithrar

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2007
An OEM version of Windows is really going to cost the same, regardless of version—I don't see why you wouldn't get the best you can (Windows 7).

Joko

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
An OEM version of Windows is really going to cost the same, regardless of version—I don't see why you wouldn't get the best you can (Windows 7).

Thanks for the reply. Windows 7 will cost me about double or triple the amount of XP Home or Pro. Buying them used I mean.

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
If you wait till Monday. I can get you a free Windows 7 copy. If you don't mind downloading 2 GB then burning it to a disk. Just PM me then.

Last edited:

elithrar

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2007
Thanks for the reply. Windows 7 will cost me about double or triple the amount of XP Home or Pro. Buying them used I mean.

Used? Worth the risk of it failing activation? If you spent the money on an iMac, just spend the $100 for a copy of Windows 7. Especially if you intend to game, it's a better platform.

Collett19

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2011
England
There are no problems using an OEM version of windows on a bootcamped mac?

I'm slightly confused aboutthe whole OEM deal. I did buy a retial version of Windows 7 which I installed on my Dell but can't find the dell discs to roll back to Vista if I use my current install of Win7 on my new mac.

OEM versions are cheap so don't mind buying another. Giving the Dell to my step-dad so don't want to leave it with no OS.

Sorry to OP for hijacking your thread!

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
There are no problems using an OEM version of windows on a bootcamped mac?

No, as long as it hasn't been installed and keyed elsewhere. OEM's are difficult to transfer after you've entered the key on a specific machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.