iMac12,2 i/o (for HDTV)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bobmane, May 26, 2012.

1. bobmane macrumors newbie

Connectivity includes ................. as well as dual "Thunderbolt" ports that are backwards compatible with Mini DisplayPort and, likewise, each support an external display up to 30" (2560x1600). Thunderbolt also supports other peripherals that use the Thunderbolt standard which provides up to 10 Gbps of bandwidth in both directions.

so if i have an HDTV how do i hook it up to this mac? i need to test video from NLEs on a TV

on a related note, is the TB Display close to or the same as an HDTV for referencing video from NLE???

2. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

3. bobmane thread starter macrumors newbie

anyone know if it will work in W7 64 bit bootcamp??

4. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

If you have the all of the latest apple drivers then yes it will work perfectly.

5. bobmane thread starter macrumors newbie

cool...thanks

6. bobmane, May 26, 2012
    Last edited: May 26, 2012

bobmane thread starter macrumors newbie

just got tv

plugged adapter in tb port on tb display because other tb ports on imac are full

with adapter in tb port on tb display and other end into tv...."no signal"

plugged adapter into tb port on on imac and I have signal to TV...therefore i have 3 screens

but now same non-functioning tb display tb port will not see my other tb device (a sata adapter for hard drives)

how to get tb monitor tb port to work?

7. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

You have to have a device I between the tb display and the tv. It has to do with how the wiring of the tb display is. I will try to find the article I read online.

----------

I found it:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4832/the-apple-thunderbolt-display-review/8

Whoops, I should have read it slower. I forgot the bigger iMacs had 2 ports. I am not sure why the thunderbolt port on the thunderbolt display is inop.

8. brand macrumors 601

brand

I believe that the Thunderbolt implementation on the iMac does not allow chaining displays. Also when high-speed Thunderbolt devices that have to be plugged in prior to the display making the display the last item in the chain.

9. bobmane thread starter macrumors newbie

not 100% clear

just got off phone with apple...they had no clue...supposedly "will call after engineer looks into it"...wow

so the 2 ports on the imac work no matter what i do and the one on the tb display does not work no matter what i do.

the alleged answer at this point is 'get a new tb device that has TB in and TB out so you can daisy chain to the tb display thereby magically enabling its tb output

so the only thing i see anywhere that i could even buy assuming i wanted to waste the money would be a tb hdd??

any other device i could get ?

10. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I'm so confused. So you have an iMac and Thunderbolt display, correct?

Connecting the iMac to the Thunderbolt display works just fine, correct?

Connecting your TV to your iMac via Thunderbolt-to-HDMI adapter works too, correct?

But you want to connect the TV from your Thunderbolt display?

So what's wrong with using both Thunderbolt ports on the iMac? That worked, didn't it?

11. bobmane, May 27, 2012
    Last edited: May 27, 2012

bobmane thread starter macrumors newbie

i have 3 devices and only 2 ports work (the ones on the imac)

tb sonnet express card 34 reader > sata port > sonnet sata drive
    tb display
    tb > converter for HDMI for TV

the ports on the imac work

the port on the display does not

therefore I can not run all 3 devices at same time

as is common, apple support is useless

also, there is enough misinformation on the web that there is no clear solution...

current infos I have seen talk about the port on display not working in a full capacity (or at all) for some unknown reason - unresolved - give no solution - may not pertain ... etc

note that it "seems" something like this "could" get me going

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/moreimages.htm?id=10574

but it means spending another 250 bucks and still having a useless tb port on the tb display (plus I dont need esata that does not see port replicators - so the unit would be useless other than giving me an extra tb output)

i also found no other shipping gadgets or devices that would solve this problem

brings me back to why the tb port on tb display does not work at all

12. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

What is preventing you from connecting both the ATD and TV to the iMac and daisy chaining your expressCard adapter onto the ATD? If somehow the expressCard doesn't work from the ATD then you will need to buy some sort of TB device to be in between the ATD and TV.