iMac27 Hd problem help!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Boogotti, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Boogotti macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm a new mac owner so sorry if I'm missing something here.
    When I switch my iMac on I get a bar which takes its time to load. When the bar finishes the iMac shuts down. I can't start in iOS. I ran disk Utilitiy by putting in the iOS disk in.
    I have tried Repairing disk that has failed. I can't back up through disk utilty as is says out of memory/space.
    I'm lost what to do next. As I have some data I need off the disk. Is there away that I can drag the only the files I need instead of backing up the whole disk?

The only way I can think what to do is to open up my iMac (which I don't really want to do) taking the hdd out. Pluging that into my Pc and taking the files I need of that.
    Then putting back the hdd in my iMac and doing a format install.

Is there and cd which I can put in my iMac that will boot up a Utility that I can backup afew files over a USB hdd?

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Does that happen everytime you turn it on? What year is the iMac?

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Your machine is booting into Safe Mode, the evidence is the progress bar that appears. First thing to do is force a Safe Boot Mode restart, how you do this is when you hear the startup tone hold down the Shift Key until the progress bar appears. Let it fully boot, if it continues to boot in Safe Mode then do 2-3 SMC and PRAM resets back to back. Instructions for those are at:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3603

If you still have problems call AppleCare immediately. Your machine is covered by 90 days of free AppleCare telephone support and a 1 year warranty. Take advantage of AppleCare. I'd also STRONGLY recommend you purchase AppleCare, it will extend the warranty to 3 years and provide 3 years of phone support.

Finally your computer does not run IOS, it runs OS X. These are two separate operating systems. IOS is for devices such as iPhones, iPads, & iPods. OS X only runs on Macs.

4. Boogotti thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it's booting like this everytime I turn the iMac on. My iMac is 27inch with a cd drive so its the generation before the newest.

I think it's booting in safemode already. Going to give it the PRAM rest a shot.

Is there a cd you can get which will allow you to backup files manually?
    Only need to back up a afew selected files.

5. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

if its shutting down right away thats definitely a problem with hardware. the status bar either indicates Safe Mode or an EFI boot check for your hard drive.

So yes it could very well be a HDD issue, try booting into Recovery HD by holding down COMMAND R at start up and trying to run disk utility repair disk from there.