Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kafkaesk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2017
Germany
Hello together!

I'm using an iMac7,1 24" from Mid2007 with an Intel C2D Extreme and HD 2600 Pro Graphics Card.
It is upgraded with SSD and RAM to its Max, but now the graphics card is failing, producing fractals (always visible in the upper part of the screen), and sometimes stripes with other graphic errors.

I've already read about upgrading the graphics card on an iMac 2011:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2011-imac-graphics-card-upgrade.1596614/page-30

Is this similar to my iMac7,1 according adaptation of possible EFI problems / flashing?
I'm thinking about replacing the graphics card with an higher model, but I'm not sure which MXM Slot is used in my model. MXM III?
Does an MXM GTX770 fit, both the slot and the height? Or any similar, newer graphics card?
An adaptation of cooler / fan should not be that problem.

Kind regards, Daniel.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
To be hones it just won't support anything worth having these days even an upgrade, if you can get it to work will be 7 years old. At ten years old your system has reached the end of its useful life, putting any money into it is a waste it can't run a new OS, its security is outdated and it has lasted longer than anyone has any right to expect a computer to last.

Get a new computer and be amazed at what you have been missing out on even a 5 year old MacBook Pro will blow it out of the water at about the same cost as fixing yours even if you can find a part.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Time for something new.

Open it up, take the internal SSD out, and re-purpose it.

You might even be able to sell the RAM (but don't expect much).

flr

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2013
You can find more information on iFixit. I found this thread that might help you. Don't listen to other that say you need to trash your iMac. I have a 15" MBP from 2007 and it is good enough for most tasks. So go and fix it if you can find the components for an acceptable price!

Reactions: vkd

kafkaesk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2017
Germany
@flr: Thanks for your reply. This is the same thread I already found and read, but they are only talking about the (more faulty) 8800GS. This is why I asked for the MXM Specification, since in this thread, one person talks about MXM II, and I'm not sure whether the iMac7,1 uses even MXM III. If the connector of other cards (e.g. a 460M or even a 770M) are the same, I'll give this a try.

@Samuel / Fishrrman: Also thanks to you two for your reply, but this iMac is enough for my purpose and I don't trash it just because of a graphics card failure. I also use other iMacs, but this one is not be wasted for its purpose, and my question basically was whether I should let the existing card be repaired, or just exchange it with another graphic card model that has originally been mounted in a Mac.

My originally questions are not answered though.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.