iMac7,1 (Mid 2007) Not Accepting Snow Leopard DVD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Oliver G, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Oliver G macrumors regular

I got delivered today Snow Leopard and when I put the DVD into my iMac7,1 (Mid 2007) it started making a noise like something was in the lens thing and then it just ejected itself. I then tried other DVDs and it worked fine. But this Snow Leopard disc would not be read by the iMac. I then put it in my other macs and the disc worked fine. So I burned it onto a new blank disc and put that into the Mid 2007 iMac and it had the same problem. What am I ment to do? I am stuck.

2. Shownarou macrumors regular

I know it's not exactly addressing the problem, but you did say you have other macs. Can you do a remote install of the operating system?

3. Oliver G thread starter macrumors regular

How do I this. My other mac is a MacBook late 2008. Can I do this?

4. SomeSwede macrumors member

IF the DVD reader is broken, try connecting the iMac to another Mac with a firewire cable, boot it in target disk mode and use the other Mac to install SL on the imac.

5. Oliver G thread starter macrumors regular

My other mac does not have a FireWire port. Can I install snow leopard from my MacBook over remote installer all I want to do is update to snow leopard.

6. steve5424 macrumors member

THat happened to me when the Leopard update came out just after I bought the Alu iMac in Oct 07.

I had to make a copy of the disc to get it to work. I hope Snow Leopard will work without any problems.

I do have an external DVD drive I could try and use, or possibly the DVD drive on my Windows laptop.

7. Oliver G thread starter macrumors regular

I made a copy with toast and got the same problem. Please help. Can I do it over Remote Installer Or do I make a copy with disk utility?

8. flatfoot macrumors 65816

When Tiger came out I had the problem that one of our Macs at home didn't have a DVD drive.
    I'm not absolutely sure which of the follwing worked.
    1. Put the DVD into your running MacBook.
    2. Connect the two Macs via ethernet. (Just plug in the cable and select DHCP for both of them)

Then either:
    On the iMac, open "Startup Disk", select the DVD and restart.

Or (if the DVD doesn't show up):
    Boot the MacBook from the DVD. (I think that was what I had to do to make it show up as a boot option on the other Mac.)

9. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Just curious, what version of OS X are you running on the iMac???

I have a theory about Snow Leopard installing over Tiger with a $29 disk. I want to know if any Mac that originally shipped with Tiger, and still has Tiger when upgrading, can be truly upgraded straight to Snow Leopard with the $29 disk?

So, has anyone installed Snow Leopard over Tiger on a Mac that originally shipped with Tiger?

10. Oliver G thread starter macrumors regular

It is a refurbished and came with 10.5 and is currently running 10.5.7.

11. SomeSwede macrumors member

Use Disk Utility on the other Mac to restore the DVD to a USB memory stick and then use it to install SL on your iMac. Just remember to partition it as GUID.

12. Shownarou macrumors regular

How big is Snow Leopard to be able to do this? I haven't looked at USB sticks in the past three or four years, but have they gotten that big?

13. SomeSwede macrumors member

It is about 6 GB (as in real gigabytes, not the stupid Base 10 GB's SL uses) so any USB stick with at least 8 GB should do. They are really cheap as well.