iMac7 Questions

Discussion in 'iMac' started by zacksba, May 10, 2013.

1. zacksba Guest

I'm trying to help my friend with her Mac (I am only familiar with windows). She has an iMac, model identifier iMac7,1 running OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a).

She also currently uses for work Adobe Creative Suite 3. Because adobe switched their software model to subscription, she will need to sign up for that to get the newest versions she needs.

The questions I have are is this OS version she is running the latest version, is there a new version, or is this the last version that that model iMac would use? Is there a way on the mac to check for OS updates like on windows?

In your Mac opinion, would this computer model/OS support the newest adobe CS programs?

She's ready to purchase a MacBook if she needs to for her adobe needs but would like to get as much life as possible on her existing iMac.

Thanks for your help!

2. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

That's a 2007 model similar to the one I used to own (the magic smoke came out of the hard drive last year). There are no software compatibility problems yet - it will run Mountain Lion and any software it requires - but performance will become an issue very soon. I also would not be surprised if ML was the last version of OS X that model will support.

3. mlsusa macrumors regular

I had that model so I can definitely tell you it supports the latest OS which is 10.8 (aka Mountain Lion). She would need to purchase it which isn't straightforward for the version she's running (this is the first hit from a Google search: http://mac-how-to.wonderhowto.com/how-to/upgrade-mountain-lion-from-leopard-os-x-10-5-10-8-0138304).

If the question is if she's running the latest version for the OS she does have installed, she can check by going all the way to the top left of her desktop and pulling down the menu from the Apple icon and selecting Software Update. From there it should list what software updates are available, including the OS.

As for Creative Suite, I don't use that so I can't comment.

4. macthefork macrumors 6502

As far as Creative Suite, you can still buy the non-subscription version here. You can download the complete version, and possibly still get the DVD version (you have to sign in to Adobe to check on that.) We purchased a DVD version of CS 6 about three weeks ago, so they may still be available. Time is limited, though. I think it's the end of June where they cease to offer even the download version. I would call them on the DVD version, as it may still be available for a few more days.

I would never go to subscription service for something like this. What if you can no longer pay for their rising monthly charge for some reason. You lose access to any of your Adobe created creations, because you'd need their software to open it. CS-3 won't open files created with later versions.

As far as updating the OS on that 2007 iMac, you may have to upgrade first to 10.6 (Snow Leopard) before updating to 10.8 (Mountain Lion). You may not have to go the Snow Leopard route if you can purchase it through a Mac that has at least Snow Leopard. Check here for details.

5. mainomega macrumors 6502

If you are looking to upgrade then you have to buy and installed previous OS.

You can install ML fresh without having to do upgrade after upgrade and then just transfer her data back. Obviously you will need a spare HD for the backup location.