iMacbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Radiv, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Radiv macrumors newbie

Hopefully Apple will jump on the Atom train and make a simple and cheap NetBook with a 9 or 10 inch screen soon, The netbooks are selling like crazy these days.

Maybe they can make a touchscreen tablet in a pricerange btw the cheap iMacBook and macbook as well.

More og you in here that would want one ASAP ?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

MacBook Air or iPhone/iPod touch is your Apple netbook.

They won't make a worthless surfing machine.

3. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

I wouldn't be too sure of that...

Netbooks are the way just now, and it makes good business sense to produce one - an affordable surfing machine on the go. The Macbook air should be this but its price tag suggest not.

4. marvel2 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't entirely eliminate the fact that apple will create a netbook. It can be a good way to get macs into the hands of people who wouldn't normally buy an os x based machine because of the price.

5. Mushrooshi macrumors regular

6. eGraeme macrumors member

ipod touch with twice the screen size would rock.
    with built in camera! hehe

hmm mebbe even 1.5 times sized screen
    not POCKETable, but still small, but big enuf to see more on it
    i spend a lot of time surfing zooming and panning all over

7. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

For how popular the little netbooks are, I'd be careful of saying that.

A low-priced Apple netbook would sell very well, I'd bet.

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

If apple created a netbook Id buy it hands down. I have an eeePC for travel and I love it...but it runs windows or linux whichever I have on it at the moment but I would prefer mac OS.

Netbooks are great because you have a full working computer in a small size. (Not the case with iPhones or iPod touches). I generally use mine for email and internet however if I need to do more I can.

If I go to a friends house its nice to be able to bring a tiny little laptop or when traveling with all my camera gear. Netbooks really are the way to go.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Of course...

And so would an xMac. It's never been about what people want, it's what Steve wants. Does a computer, the center of your entire digital life, that can only surf the Internet, fit into Steve's vision? Granted, no NetMac would ever BE used as someone's only computer, but Apple still makes all of their products with that very idea in mind. The MacBook Air is marketed as being capable of most of what is thrown at it. It's marketed as being able to use iLife and iWork and non-Internet apps.

10. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure it's such a good idea. They surely sell well, but whether they're very profitable is another matter entirely. The problem is these computer are targeted at the lowest-end market; the main and often only factor making them popular is price. Sure there must be some people who buy them as a second or third computer, just to carry it around when they don't need power, even though they can afford a good notebook, but those are a minority IMO. So the competition is in who makes it cheaper, and apparently margins are lower on them than on regular laptops. Apple would never get their R&D costs back on a low-priced netbook, and high-priced one wouldn't sell well.

11. Radiv thread starter macrumors newbie

R&D is already done. I am sitting on a 12" PB, shrink that one to 10" screen, put in an Atom CPU as the others have, and load with Leopard, Leo Light or even Tiger if they have to !

It is more about will than can !

But they need to get on this wave with a netbook, if not I will will buy a Linux, or maybe a XP (God forbid) Netbook within 3 months !!

12. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

There was this article recently published that said that while Apple notebooks make up 10% of sales, Apple's total revenue from all notebook sales are 33%. Apple's strategy is working for them, selling a cheap, crappy netbook which is like an iPhone with double the screen size, but made for the low end of the market isn't gonna work.

Do we want Apple's QC fail us again? Do you want your local service centre being flooded by repairs from these little machines?

13. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

I'd probably pick up a MacBook Molecule is there was one:)

14. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

Ya know, buddy. I bookmarked this post JUST in case they released one.

Just so I could post and say: "hehe!"

But, nothing of the sort released! But now we at least have a break from the countless "spy" photos.