Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dumb Bob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2010
I being a complete novice with mac was poking around and I saw a file that listed various operating systems ie. 8, 9.2, 10.something or other. I clicked on the 10. OS and now... yep! It don't work at all.
I picked this thing up at a yard sale for 10 bucks, so I'm not out lot of bucks, but I got it for a friend that is even more computer illiterate than I (hard to believe, I know) So... is there any kind hearted soul that has some straight forward suggestions as to how I might fix it.
Before I goofed it up, it was shutting down after about 20 min...I took the cover off and it seemed to alleviate the problem... unless I ask the computer to do something tricky.
If you folks tell me I'm wasting my time....I WILL believe you...lol

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
It might be helpful if you could give us more information about this "file" you clicked on. What exactly happens when you press the power button now?

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
What do you see when you start up the computer with the alt/option key held down? Does a Macintosh HD icon show up with the Finder (looks like a half gray/half blue smiling face)? Select it and click the arrow pointing to the right to proceed. What happens?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.