Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
yesterday, I was using my iMac, and I was listening to iTunes so I decided to actually see where the iMac's sond comes out of. Slightly tipping it over, I found out it came from the RAM Slot area, also It somes out the fan place. Someone walked behind me and scared me, dropping my iMac to it's death. NOT. The iMac fell flat on it's back, with my song still playing, computer still working, just like normal. I have also dropped it, it still successfully works. Like new. this thing is fracking durable, compared to my Compaq Presario, I dropped it and it would refuse to restart, for about 10 minutes, after that, it restarted, but Windows was running very unstable(even for windows). The next day it worked ok. Also, the box wasn't handled too well by London Drugs who gave it to me. It is still working strong. I am so impressed with its durability.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
Glad to hear you iMac is good, but concerning iMac durability? Does it have a thicker case than the MB's/MBP's. It is nearly double as thick, and besides internal powersupply and 3.5" HDD, it has all the same components as MBP. What takes up the extra space? Perhaps extra protection?:confused:

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
Josias said:
Glad to hear you iMac is good, but concerning iMac durability? Does it have a thicker case than the MB's/MBP's. It is nearly double as thick, and besides internal powersupply and 3.5" HDD, it has all the same components as MBP. What takes up the extra space? Perhaps extra protection?:confused:

Hmm... this is really confusing. iMacs have a 2 inch case, while mbp/mb have 1. and1.08 inchs. :confused:

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
Josias said:
The iMac also doesn't have the sudden motion sensor, so I would be more careful with it obviously. @ Josias, the new iMacs are much thinner then the G5's (except the last rev.). so it really isn't that huge in terms of size compared to the MBP and MB.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
imacintel said:
Hmm... this is really confusing. iMacs have a 2 inch case, while mbp/mb have 1. and1.08 inchs. :confused:

Yes, excactly my thoughts. I wonder whether they could fit an internal powersupply into the 17" MBP. That would rock to the max!:cool: iMacs would really rock if they were as thin as the iMac G4 screen.:D Now, I know you wouldn't dare doing this, but if someone disassembled their iMacs, we could see if it was just air inther or what? I think there is a reason for them doing it. They make it as thin as possible, since there was even problems fitting in 2 ram slots in the iSight G5 iMac...

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
Josias said:
Now, I know you wouldn't dare doing this, but if someone disassembled their iMacs, we could see if it was just air inther or what? I think there is a reason for them doing it. They make it as thin as possible, since there was even problems fitting in 2 ram slots in the iSight G5 iMac...

Here's what's inside the imac G5, can't be that much different from the intel imac.

http://images.anthonyagius.net/imac_g5_inside.jpg

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Stories like that are the reason you should never buy a MacBook Pro. :p

Buy a MacBook or an old iBook.

When you drop it, at least you won't be digging in your pocket for $300+ in case part.

And stay away from PowerMac G5s. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.