iMac's getting exchanged, what do I use to back up my stuff

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by qom, Oct 23, 2007.

1. qom macrumors member

Hi!

Got my new iMac yesterday, unfortunately it has a stuck pixel, so I'm gonna exchange it.

I wonder if there's a nifty program that will help me backup EVERYTHING, files, apps, settings etc. Just as when you transfer your old macs stuff to your new one via firewire cable.

I'm using a file server for backup.

Tried CCC but it seems there's somekind of bug that won't let me clone or something.

Anyway, how will it work, when I get my new iMac and then restore from the backup image, will I have two installations of Tiger?

Using SuperDuper! to back up at the moment, should I use that or go with something else?

Thanks
    Per

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. qom thread starter macrumors member

Good!

What I really want to know is how it's going to work when I restore everything.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Boot from your backup, then restore from that to the new drive.

5. qom thread starter macrumors member

How does that work, when the drive is mounted in a file server in my closet?

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Oh balls. I hadn't noticed you weren't just simply backing up to an external drive.

Um, not sure :confused:

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

mount the file server over the network in the finder by using network in the sidebar or the command-k method. the file server volume has to be empty for superduper! to work as it makes a complete mirror of your mac's hard drive. you can do this by making an empty partition on the file server big enough for backing up your whole mac. im not sure whether superduper! works over a network? can someone enlighten us??? or use an external hard drive which seems to be the easiest method.

after its backed up and you want to restore select "copy" as the file server or external drive and "To" as your mac's hard drive.

8. qom thread starter macrumors member

Would that let me restore program settings etc aswell?

SuperDuper! freezes on me all the time, can't use that to backup.
    SuperDuper! does work over a network.

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You're not doing this over wireless, are you?

10. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

I didn't think you can exchange it with only 1 dead pixel. Does it have to be like 5 or more.

11. qom thread starter macrumors member

Called AppleStore, he said he'd arrange an exchange unit, and let the logistic company that they should pick up my machine. Probably because it's 1 day old.

edesignuk: No, I'm making the image locally to begin with, some permission problems with the file server, app doesn't get write permission, and even if I were creating the image on the file server, I have 1Gbit/s network.

12. qom thread starter macrumors member

Called Apple again.
    They'll let me have this one until I receive and transfer all my files to the new one.

Man, I love this company.