Imac's Glossy Screen for Digital Art. Issues?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JesterDev, Feb 6, 2008.

1. JesterDev macrumors newbie

I do allot of digital art, and while I've been considering an iMac I'm worried about the saturation on the glossy screen. Will the glossy screen really make that big of a difference?

Does it have an extra HDMI port by chance? I have a 22" matte display that I currently use.

Is it easy to upgrade the ram/HD on an iMac?

And finally should I buy now or is there an update on the horizon?

Thanks!

2. mzd macrumors 6502a

everyone has a different opinion on the glossy display. i do graphics and it doesn't bother me.

there is a video out port (mini DVI) so you can hook up a 2nd display.

ram is a simple upgrade - one screw.

HDD not so much (you need to remove the glass and panel in order to get to the HDD). you're better off buying the largest internal drive you can afford and they resorting to external storage options.

there will probably be a minor update in the next one-three months so if you are not in a big hurry, it makes sense to wait for it.

3. munckee macrumors 65816

It may not be the BEST choice for graphic work, but the iMac is an extremely capable machine. I wouldn't let the glossy screen be the deciding factor if the computer does everything you need it to otherwise.

4. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

The glossy screen isnt as much of a problem as the TN panel in the 20"

5. JesterDev thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the comments. I have read some negative thoughts about glossy screens and digital art in the past so I wasn't sure if the effect was that really bad or not. I'm leaning towards the iMac 24" currently, but it's all still up in the air with the Mac Pro and the pending updates to the Macbook Pro.

6. Dainas macrumors newbie

True that,

Also.. Glossy screen annoyance just depends on where you work. If you work in a room with a big window or mad lighting, chances are it will get on your nerves. Otherwise it could be perfectly forgettable.

7. JesterDev thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually my office is rather dark; which is the way I like it. :)

What is the TN panel in the 20"?

8. MORTALITAS macrumors newbie

Glossy

I'm doing the same thing - well, more web design - Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. - and the glossy screen doesn't bother me at all. I think it's awesome. However, in all truthfullness, I have only had my 24" iMac for a little while and so I don't have months and months of using the glossy screen. But, I love it and would recommend to anyone.

9. barijazz macrumors 6502

The mac pro was just updated a few weeks ago. If you are doing extensive graphic work and you already have a monitor than the mac pro will get you more bang for your buck. Of corse if your monitor is crap then that might hurt you more than the glossy screen.

10. Dainas macrumors newbie

TN is the cheaper older tech used by LCDs. To this day most use it. Reason its bad for photoediting is if you shift your head, the picture shifts. Yep TNs are the screens that black or white out if you look at them from below or above.

PVA, MVA and IPS do this far more minimally, infact the 20" and 24" imacs sitting together, the 24" looks like it does not do it at all in comparison. I'm pretty sure the exact tech used by the 24" iMac is S-PVA, 23" and 30" Cinema Displays use S-IPS. Most would not be able to tell the difference besides the iMac being glossy and cinema displays being matte.