iMac's gone haywire

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brobson, Sep 20, 2007.

1. brobson macrumors 6502

brobson

I just had the motherboard and harddrive replaced. Now, two weeks later, it made a noise like a fog horn one time. Then later that evening everytime I touched the screen it broke into 4 windows. When I closed out the windows all but one, it dims and wants to break into a smaller frame. So it jerks back and forth as I touch it from small to big.
    Anyone have any idea what it might be?

Oh yea, iMac G5 1.8 1G memory
    B

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I strongly suspect that your iMac has a loose connection between the monitor and the new motherboard. That would explain the picture break-up when you touch the screen, as well as the other symptoms you described.

As for how to fix this - take it to the place you had it fixed and tell them your situation, and what I suspect the cause is. Tell them to take a look there - hopefully they can get it fixed for you.

3. brobson thread starter macrumors 6502

brobson

They suspected the mouse and replaced my mighty mouse at the apple store but I sure hope thats all it is. I will keep watch and make sure they haven't just tried a quick fix. It's not like they looked at it very long. I didn't realize I have 90 days after repair on the warrenty since my applecare is up TODAY!

Thanks
    Brenda

4. brobson thread starter macrumors 6502

brobson

Thanks wrldwizard

It was the new motherboard, it was bad. Thanks for your help!
    Brenda