iMacs with LED-backlight 2009?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rajalot, Jun 3, 2008.

1. rajalot macrumors member

rajalot

I'm considering buying iMac but don't really need it before autumn 2009 when I start at university. I was wondering, that now that we know almost certainly that rest of Apples notebooks will use LED's by 2009, what were the odds that by 2009 iMacs would get LED-displays too?

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I would love to know what the draw is exactly to LED backlighting. Sure, it makes a display look a little better but it's not going to make your computer instantly worse if you buy one and suddenly a version comes out with an LED screen. You really need them side by side to notice any sort of a difference and even then it's not much.

3. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

At the moment, there are LED backlit 20", 24", etc backlit LCD panels, however, they are several thousand dollars a piece... way too expensive to put into an iMac, but by late 09, the price will have most likely have decreased, perhaps enough for a BTO option.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The only real justification for putting them in a consumer desktop is their green credentials. The current fluorescent-based backlighting contains mercury and uses more electricity (a few watts more).

5. rajalot thread starter macrumors member

rajalot

LED's keep their brightess much better than regular LCD's.