iMacs with Mavericks installed?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jaykin, Nov 17, 2013.

1. jaykin macrumors newbie

I am planning to purchase a new iMac on black Friday, as my old 2007 is getting tired. Wondering if anyone is receiving them with Mavericks already installed yet.

2. richard13 macrumors 6502a

Hey jaykin. I don't think anyone has gotten an iMac with Mavericks pre-installed yet. Please see the thread I've already started on this topic:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1666781

3. jaykin thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks. I was afraid of that. It will complicate my use of Setup Assistant because I already have Mavericks installed on the old machine.

4. mikeraba macrumors newbie

mikeraba

I bought one yesterday and it didn't have it installed. First Mac and I'm really enjoying it!

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just make a temp account (different name than your real account) during setup then go to the App Store and buy/install Mavs. Then run Migration Assistant from the temp account and import your old account and data. Then reboot to your real account that got imported and delete the temp account.

6. ender78 macrumors 6502

The most recent updates the the iMac with Mavericks thread indicate that some of the BTO [Built to Order] machines shipped in the last few days do indeed have Mavericks installed.

7. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Mine came with Mountain Lion.

8. Sun-Warrior macrumors newbie

I got my 27-inch BTO iMac yesterday, 11/22, ordered only eight days earlier on 11/14.

And it came with Mavericks installed.

Now, in starting to use Mavericks, I saw that it is not -- yet at least -- compatible with several things important to me: work VPN connections, using it to screen share with my music-only Mac Mini in another room, my long-time-use macro utility, et cetera.

So what I did with the internal 1TB SSD is partition it nearly immediately, half and half partitions.

And then I installed Mountain Lion in the new, second partition.

That's what I'll work with for now, and let's see how Mavericks evolves. And having a dual-boot internal drive can just be useful.

Meanwhile, I have several external HDDs attached, and that takes care of my main storage -- music, photographs, videos, and other documents. Hey, the price of good quality external HDDs is cheap nowadays -- I'm happy with Western Digital -- and that gives me all the redundancy (aka, backups) that I need.

And then, when Other World Computing comes out with their new Thunderbolt drive, I'll get the 4TB version, set it up as RAID 1 for automatic mirrored backups, and use that for my 1500-plus music albums.

Dave, who says this new iMac was "assembled in the USA"

9. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

How is your display? I'm thinking of ordering one of Friday, but still on the fence.

10. Sun-Warrior macrumors newbie

Seems great. No yellow tint, as mentioned in some other threads.

And after a weekend of various setting up, it is working well right now.

11. mrmarts macrumors 65816

Yay I got my replacement iMac today and guess what it came with mavericks and the iLife and iWorks suites installed. I will post pictures in the mac setup thread soon

12. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

Great. Two questions....

- why the replacement?

- how is the screen on this replacement?

13. mrmarts macrumors 65816

the USB port was sparking when plugging a external hdd with a power source, I however have not tried the new one yet with a external hdd.

Looks good no yellow tint or retention,

14. slammer0 macrumors newbie

Got mine (base 27 + ssd) today. Mavericks on. Screen is a little bit yellow in lower right part of the screen but I am keeping it.