imacs without a monitor?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sakau2007, Oct 19, 2011.

1. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

i've never owned a mac pc, but was just curious... if i bought an imac, do they come with monitors? is there a way to get them without one? i'm perfectly happy with my 24" monitor and don't need to feed apple more money than necessary.

2. simsaladimbamba

The iMac has the monitor built into it.
    Maybe look at the Mac mini?
    www.apple.com/mac has an overview about current Macs.

3. Zh2 macrumors member

Hi,

I was just wondering when was the last time you actually set your eyes on an iMac?

Hmmm...

Regards.

Z

4. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

My friend, I believe you are unfamiliar with what an imac is. The imac is a combination of monitor and pc ALL in one...what you were asking is the same as buying a notebook without a screen...not gonna happen.

The iMac, in my opinion is the best All-in-one solution available, altough Its not my personal Mac of choice. the idea behind it is that it has only 1 cable, the power cable, and you will no longer have cable mess in your desk

The features of an iMac is that it has a alluminium design, an it comes with bluetooth wireless mouses and keyboard. Now, the mouse is touch sensitive, and that pretty much makes the Mac worth paying for, you will understand when you get it.

If you like your monitor and dislike the iMac design, than you should not get one.

If you want to try a Mac, you may go with the MacMini, its isanelly small and cheap (when compared to smaller scale components or other Macs)

Either way, any Mac is a great investments, its cheaper to be a Mac user than a PC user. Let me explain. Macs retain their resalle value, so when upgrading, trust me, it will be a very cheap upgrade. that doesnt happen in the PC world, where the components quickly lose their original value.

Good luck

5. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

6. sakau2007 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, i was unaware that mac doesn't really sell desktops without a monitor. that is disappointing to me. it does look like the $799 mac mini could be a good option for me though.

7. EricT43 macrumors regular

They make the Mac Pro, which is kind of like your familiar tower PC. They are expensive, though.

8. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

People...Mac doesnt sell anything, Apple does. Macintosh is a type of product manufactured by Apple. And the MacMini is a desktop solution without the monitor, so you may use your current one. BTW, dont buy at the apple store, you can get better prices at amazon

MacPro resembles a towerPC, but it is not, as it uses 2 Xeon processors, the Mac Mini and iMac resemble a PC as far as internal components go.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

This requires a couple corrections. The mac pro uses 2 xeons in the 8 core model and up (they start at $3500, the base model starts at $1000 less, and the 6 core is also a single socket machine).

The mini resembles a "laptop" as far as internal components go. Everything inside it with the possible exception of the hard drives is a laptop component.

10. simsaladimbamba

The HDD in the Mac mini is also a laptop component, as 2.5" S-ATA HDDs are used in portable external HDDs and inside notebooks.
    Desktops use 3.5" S-ATA HDDs.

11. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Yeah, you guys are correct, actually I believe both the MacMini and iMac resemble more a laptop, because they have small TDP cpus, 2.5 HDDs etc, but nevertheless, is what is comparable in terms of raw speed to i5/i7 pcs right?

12. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Yeah I didn't think a 3.5" would fit but I wasn't 100% sure.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac-Intel-21-5-Inch-EMC-2428-Teardown/5485/1

Imac actually has a 3.5. The new ones have a second SSD bay as well, but the primary drive has always been 3.5. The cpus are desktop parts. They use laptop grade gpus. The top 27" inch with the 6970M actually has a rather high TDP comparable to desktop gpus. I'm not sure how it's clocked in the imac but the pc version of the card is rated at a 100W TDP on tomshardware (googled and that came up).