iMac's - Worth waiting for the next refresh?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by miniroll32, Mar 28, 2010.

1. miniroll32 macrumors 6502a

miniroll32

There's no doubt that the current line-up of iMac's are great machines, but as a potential customer (I'm ready to buy one, first time iMac customer), do you think it would be worth waiting for the next refresh?

I'm wanting to buy the 21.5" model, and although I've tested some in store, I can't help but wonder if Apple will implement the i5's in the next refresh, whenever it will be. In terms of lifespan, the Core2Duo's will surely be old technology in not long to come?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

If you need an iMac now, then purchase the current generation. If you can wait until new ones are released then wait.

On a side note playing catch up or waiting for technology is a bad game to start.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

C2D is already "old" technology depending on who you ask. In any case, it's hard to tell you if you'll be better served with an i5 since you don't actually tell us what you use your machines for. "If you need it, buy it now."

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I agree with stride. There is always something to wait for but then you end up waiting years for nothing. Current ones are fast enough for most of the people, so i5 (which is dual core for 21.5") would just idle most of the time

5. miniroll32 thread starter macrumors 6502a

miniroll32

Thanks for your thoughts :) I would mainly be using Photoshop and ripping video on HandBrake.

6. maclook macrumors 65816

In that case, just get it now

7. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

Just get the current ones... i5 is pretty fast and i think it will handle your needs.