Image Capture and TWAIN scanners

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 2ways, Oct 19, 2007.

1. 2ways macrumors newbie

Hi Folks,

I've got a MacBook with Tiger and need a new scanner, but I don't understand the relationship between Image Capture, TWAIN compatibe devices/software, and vendor written Mac drivers.

I understand that Image Capture will allow me to use a TWAIN-compatible device for which the vendor has not written a specific Mac driver; however, does it provide me with the full functionality of the hardware and whatever software shipped with the scanner? For example, will Image Capture allow me to use the OCR feature/software? I presume the software needs to be TWAIN compatible as well.

Any help with understanding would be greatly appreciated. I need to buy something, but am paralyzed by not wanting to end up with something that won't do the job.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
    Lewis

2. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

usually if the driver is not written by the manufacturer, it does not contain all the capabilities of the scanner. That is not the case 100% of the time but close to it. What it comes down to is:get something with mac drivers/software to be safe. I know I say this alot, but I would recommend an epson. I have an old 1250 that I just recently stopped using because I replaced it with something else, but it still worked great. There were drivers from Epson to use every feature that the printer offers and if memory serves me correctly, it was fairly cheap.

I guess it all comes down to what you want to do with the scanner.