Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarlosJorge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
So i'm hello in first place, i got mountain lion a 1 week ago, and i keep checking the activity monitor and the Image Capture Extension(process) is always running, even if i force quit, well i don't have any printers, scanners or something like that, it's really annoying, is it normal? it keeps appearing even if i quit it, please i would a appreciate a suggestion on what should i do, or if it's even normal.

Last edited by a moderator:

saotomefirst

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Rio de Janeiro
Hi there Carlos

First of all, I'm also relatively new to the Mac, so it's probable that there is a better answer to your question.

Well, as far as I know, there is a new function under Mountain Lion printing that allow you to print anything to a PDF file. Maybe because of this the Image Capture extension is always on?...

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Well, as far as I know, there is a new function under Mountain Lion printing that allow you to print anything to a PDF file. Maybe because of this the Image Capture extension is always on?...

Wrong, this has already been there for a while, I am on 10.5.8 and it's there.

----------

So i'm hello in first place, i got mountain lion a 1 week ago, and i keep checking the activity monitor and the Image Capture Extension(process) is always running, even if i force quit, well i don't have any printers, scanners or something like that, it's really annoying, is it normal? it keeps appearing even if i quit it, please i would a appreciate a suggestion on what should i do, or if it's even normal.

Do you have any USB stick connected or or card reader, even a card inside a mac's internal card reader could be the cause.
But, it might always be active, don't know since I don't have ML.

CarlosJorge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
Was that a pirated version? Sounds like someone is hacking you and taking screenshots... But i cant say for sure.

nop, it's not, i've got it, because i got a problem on my iMac last week, and they told that was better to a clean install, and they installed the mountain lion, and it was free because it's still in guarantee, but it's not consuming any CPU, just appearing sometimes at "active processes", i don't what should i do, or just ignore it.

----------

please someone help me, i would appreciate, and i don't have any typer of memory anything, i just use my usb, but nothing related with images, when i open images, it uses the image preview, i think only that.

But as i said before, the Image Capture Extension it's on active processes sometimes appearing and disappearing, but only with 0% CPU

Wrong, this has already been there for a while, I am on 10.5.8 and it's there.

hm i had the snow leopard before, and never saw even once the Image Capture Extension before.

CarlosJorge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
never mind it uses cpu, but what the hell, i don't someone is taking picture of my mac, that's impossible, they did fresh install, mac don't get virus, malwares etc.. if you use common sense, and plus i've got ClamXav that i used like every week to scan just to make sure, can someone please explain me what's going and why is Image Capture Extension being used?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
hm i had the snow leopard before, and never saw even once the Image Capture Extension before.

The printing to PDF is available in Leopard, maybe re-read the poster I quoted, twas not about image capture.

It might be a program you installed which is requesting the image capture process to launch.

You could log into a new User Account and see if it also happens there, if so it is not related to a program you installed, as long as you don't launch any programs.

CarlosJorge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
The printing to PDF is available in Leopard, maybe re-read the poster I quoted, twas not about image capture.

It might be a program you installed which is requesting the image capture process to launch.

maybe but, should i be to worried about it tho?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.