Image capture woes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by /dev/toaster, Oct 7, 2015.

1. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I have been procrastinating moving photos off my phone for a while. Now I am really regretting it. I have over 11k images. I have been trying for a week to get the photos off but can't seem to get image capture to work.

In the past IC has always been flaky but this is hands down the worst it has ever been. I can't get iPhoto, photos or image capture to show my pictures. They show the phone but thats it, no thumbnails.

I have tried 2 different macs, different cables, and rebooting both. I have disabled iCloud photo sync and still nothing works.

I am totally stuck, any ideas what could be wrong ? It's not a question of just waiting for it to finish loading. I have tried letting it sit for a few hours and nothing.\

2. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I'm sorry, I don't have any advise that you're looking for so here's three "last option" workaround suggestions if you can't get them the way you should be able to.
    1. Try a PC <ducks>. I use a PC and have only done just over 6000 so nowhere near your number but no lag or issues.
    2. Download the photos from your iCloud Photo Library.
    3. A non-encrypted iTunes backup will export the photos into files (mixed in with the rest of the backup stuff).
    Good luck!

3. /dev/toaster thread starter macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

On my new phone I had to delete a ton of photos and then suddenly it started showing up in IC. I am gonna go the route of extracting the files from a backup on my old phone.

4. scaramoosh macrumors 6502

Why can't you just plug the phone into a Windows PC and see all the images pop up in a folder and just drag to the Desktop?

I personally use Google Drive to automatically backup my images, but I doubt it's retroactive.