Image complete Mac HD

fall3n

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2006
I want to completely image my whole Macintosh HD partition and be able to restore it with ease should I ever want/need to. How do I go about making the image and restoring it?

I'm assuming I use Disk Utility to do both? Does anyone have a tutorial on how to do this?

My main reason for doing this right now is so that I can repartition my drive so that I can use bootcamp, so instead of having to reinstall everything again, I'd rather just image the drive and restore it when I have a single partition.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
fall3n said:

I'm assuming I use Disk Utility to do both? Does anyone have a tutorial on how to do this?

You assume wrong. Disk Utilities is straightforward. You don't need a tutor. Launch it and try. However, you will need an external drive. However, you may be better served using Carbon Copy Cloner. It is a utility specially designed for this purpose. A simple Google search should find it for you.

fall3n

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2006
Counterfit said:
All of those options will only work on one partition though, so if you want to get rid of Boot Camp, you'll have to get rid of that second partition.
What do you mean by this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.