image files default app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by j3tang, Jun 6, 2007.

1. j3tang macrumors regular

I have a small problem with my image files and was hoping someone would be able to answer my question.

Here's the situation .. let's say i have a picture.jpg file that normally opens with preview. After i make changes to the file in photoshop and save it as another file, picture2.jpg, this file no longer opens using the default software for opening .jpg files. when i double click on it, it doesn't open using preview, but instead is opened with photoshop. picture.jpg is still opening fine with preview though.

i looked under preferences in photoshop where the file handling submenu is and there's nothing about it saying not to change the default app for opening that type of file (nor anywhere else for that matter).

Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Does anyone else seem to have this issue?

2. xlopez macrumors member

Maybe this works

I don't know if this can solve the problem, but you can try it. What I did is I saved a .jpg image using Photoshop. When I click on it, it opens with Photoshop. I then went to "Get Info"(secondary/right click) and changed the "open with" tab to open with Preview and made sure to click on "change all". What this does is it applies to all .jpg files. I saved another jpg image using photoshop and when I tried clicking on it it opened on Preview so maybe this solution is permanent. Try and see if that works.

Attached Files:

3. j3tang thread starter macrumors regular

that works beautifully !

maybe you could help me with 1 other thing .. this one ain't a big deal if it doesn't get fixed tho ..

I have 'show item preview' checked under finder view options so that thumbnails of the images are showing as the icon.

picture.jpg gets edited with photoshop, it gets saved as picture2.jpg

picture2.jpg now has a drop shadow on the thumbnail, whereas the original file does not. anything photoshop saves, it puts a drop shadow underneath the icon.

see attachment for what i mean.

Attached Files:

4. xlopez macrumors member

Hmm that's weird. Evidently, because photoshop's image editing functions are more complex, perhaps when the image is saved, some of the advanced color settings are changed. It's kinda funny how something like that changes. I suggest you keep saving images and see what works for you. Sorry I don't know what can be done. I don't think it has to do with Finder at all, but it is something clearly Photoshop related. Good luck!

5. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Hmm, the version with drop shadow looks better. :) Why do you want to "fix" it?