Image Files Management: Is there an 'ACDSee' equivalent for MAC?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aquasky, Dec 26, 2008.

1. aquasky macrumors newbie

Hi

To keep it simple, having moved from a Vista PC I am searching for an equivalent of 'ACDSee' for MAC to work with my digital photos?

iPhoto I cannot get used to - I need something that works directly with original image files/folders and has none of this importing weirdness...

Yes, I know one can disable the copying of images when importing to iPhoto, but I want to be able to browse through my photos, re-organise the actual folders on the hard drive and delete those I do not want to keep. I think iPhoto will never allow you to delete an original image from the hard disk (IS THIS CORRECT?) (yes, it can delete a file previously copied (or imported without copying) into the iPhoto library, but not the original image file.

Thank you for your help in advance.

2. Amigaman macrumors regular

Amigaman

Xee is as close to ACDsee as you're going to get on OS X.

3. aquasky thread starter macrumors newbie

4. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

There's also a really good program called Phoenix Slides which is basically an image viewer for your pictures already on your hard drive. It also does some basic image manipulation too.

Just a bit of a warning though if you still have Tiger: don't click around in the /dev and /automount folders on the top level of your volume or else it'll kernel panic you. It's fixed in Leopard, though.

5. jim mac macrumors newbie

Looks in not too long there will be ACDSee Pro for Mac. You can sign up for the beta program at the following link.
    http://www.acdsee.com/offers/proformac

6. jon08 macrumors 65816

Hmm, what about a Windows-equivalent program that lets you do batch resizing/renaming etc. without losing the pics quality and all that?

I've tried Picasa 3, but it bothers me that after each resize, it makes the pic slightly brighter....