Image Gallery - not using flash

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by pelsar, Mar 6, 2009.

1. pelsar macrumors regular

the page: http://www.spinnerdesign.co.il/flash_examples.html

the idea is by clicking on the links above the picture area (project 1 project 2), a new swf file will enter in the area and play.....the conditions however are:

that because each flash has different size and ht/width ratio when they enter into the "playing area' they have to shrink proportionally to fit the area.

I cant use the classic flash gallerys (that cost between $4-$10) since I've discovered that the versions that use xml for the links "remove" the interactivity aspect of the flash files.
    _____

any ideas?

2. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

3. pelsar thread starter macrumors regular

how to do it?

what would be the programming to use to bring in a swf file in to the allotted area..where a click on a link would replace the playing swf with a different one

4. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Before coding, consider this psuedo code to express the concept.

A likely simple implementation would be as follows:

1) Create a div and give it an ID, i.e. "player"
    2) Inside the div place the HTML to load the default swf file (the object and embed tags).
    3) Create a javascript function named ChangeSWF with 3 arguments, ID, height and width. Based on the ID being passed, use a simple switch or if/then/else to create a variable named "output" storing the HTML to generate the SWF file with height/width added as parameters in the object/embed tags since you noted a concern about that. Finally, display it by using document.getElementById('player').innerHTML=output; for example.
    4) Add on onClick="ChangeSWF(1,500,400);" for example to each link -- calling our function passing the ID, and desired height/width of the current SWF file

This is simplistic but seems to meet your requirements. If seems ok, won't be hard for you to create code from this basic concept.

-jim

5. pelsar thread starter macrumors regular

thats what i'm looking for.....

sounds like a good start for me, thats what was looking for ...thanks.

You do realize that i am not a programmer, just an experience website designer/developer, so the challange is there.....

6. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Maybe your definition of developer is different than mine, but not being able to program seems to limit your use of that word on your resume'.

A web developer is a software developer or software engineer who is specifically engaged in the development of World Wide Web applications, or distributed network applications that are run over the HTTP protocol from a web server to a web browser.

It's all about programming! Give it a shot, I all but spelled it out for you anyway.

-jim

7. pelsar thread starter macrumors regular

I have a small graphic design office, where we offer a wide variety of services...for some projects i use outside contractors, be it professional writing, complex programming, certain 3D modeling. Most of the work stays within the confines of the walls of our office, but what I offer as an office does not necessary have to be found within the talents of my employees. We are in fact not programmers (that should be obvious), though, with our ability to learn and with the help of others to point us in the right direction, we have been able to write and modify Actionscript 2, 3, develop sites (from "scratch) using HTML, javascript, xml DHTML, XHTML, write applescript, etc. Whereas we are not by any means professional developers, the office does develop and design websites and professional presentations.