Image hover shows full sized image - Help

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Jeremy1026, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Ok, this is more of a plea for code, then for help. I want to have a photo gallery set up (I am using Dreamweaver) for my website where when a visitor hovers over the thumbnail, the full resolution image appears on the screen, preferably not a pop up.

2. Jeremy1026 thread starter macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

http://www.plentyoffish.com/member1675799.htm

Something like the extra pictures user upload to that site.

I isolated the chunk of code that does it, and all the javascript code in the file, but it doesn't work on my local server...

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

WS Tooltip (does it have a "proper" name? Walter Zorn Tooltip?) is one I've used for this purpose; it's relatively easy to use, free, you can put basically anything into the appearing box, and it's quite customizable in terms of appearance and behavior:

http://www.walterzorn.com/tooltip/tooltip_e.htm

...though I'm not sure this is the best option for a simple appearing image. I'm curious if there's a better script for an image plus maybe a caption, since I was just getting ready to do exactly this with a LOT of images on a fairly large site (and it's not a gallery-type situation where I'd want to resort to a Lightbox-style script--just a quickie enlarge that doesn't preload, to save bandwidth where possible).

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I found Hoverbox, which may be something you can use.

Makosuke, I have a script I use that's a simplified version of lightbox and doesn't preload images. You can see it in action at my site in the Artwork section. I have a creative commons license on it so you can mod it if need be to meet your needs.

5. Jeremy1026 thread starter macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

So, it looks like it should work, but doesn't. The page that I currently have it sitting on is http://www.btldetailing.com/BTL Detailing/gallery.html . If someone could take a peak and maybe see what's wrong?

6. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

Here is the CSS - not mine, Dynamic Drive as it says.

HTML:

Of course change example.png to your actual picture.

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

What about it isn't working. When I hover over the thumbnail the larger version presents itself.

8. Jeremy1026 thread starter macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Oh how I love your hover box! Works like a charm, updated my test page with it, works great. Just need to tweak a few things like the size and location of the images :)

9. Jeremy1026 thread starter macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

At the time of that post I was trying to use the wz_tooltip, not your hover box. I just switched to HB and it works great!

10. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Just to throw in some other options, cssplay.co.uk has a variety of great ways to use just CSS to great loads of cool stuff.

11. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Just to clarify, the hoverbox isn't mine, I just found it. The script I mentioned as my own wasn't linked to and doesn't address your needs, but might for Makosuke for what he mentioned as needing.

12. Jeremy1026 thread starter macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Thanks for the clarification, the script you linked to is working great :p

13. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith