Image manager

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Amafortas, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Amafortas macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I work as a lecturer at a local university and prepare and deliver KeyNote presentations five days a week. These presentations tend to include a lot of images; most pulled from the web.

I'd like to find a good way for managing all these many photos. I have been using Iphoto, which works ok. However, since I'm not dealing with photographs much of its feature set is beyond what I need. Also, because I do not tend to need super-high pixel count images (the overhead I use isn't all that good), I would like to be able to down-sample some images currently eating up quite a bit of space on my hard drive.

Could someone please recommend a piece of software that is easy to use, will allow me to import, and ideally tag, images easily, and will play nice with KeyNote?

I realize I'm probably going to have to stay with IPhoto, but I thought some of you more KeyNote savy than I, which isn't that hight of a bar, might have some ideas.

Thanks,

~A

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

the first thing that came to my mind was indeed iPhoto.... but, that clearly won't work for you.

one question, does this image manager have to be local? would an online app work -- something like Picasa (by Google)?

3. Amafortas thread starter macrumors newbie

Local or Cloud?

brn2ski00,

Local would be preferable. My university isn't the best at supporting the wireless network compatibility with Macs. And I sometimes have to pull together presentations from the files already on the computer.

Have a good one,

~A

4. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Hmm, then I don't think you are going to find anything easier to use and as reliable as iPhoto.

You could try this: http://picture-box.en.softonic.com/mac

I have never used it, but looks like it may suit your needs.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

For scaling down the size of your images you can build an Automator workflow to scale it by a percentage (probably most useful) or to a set pixel size.

For viewing files, you could check out some of the alternatives here:

http://www.usingmac.com/2008/11/19/mac-image-viewers

In your situation I would probably just manage the images in the Finder using Automator and then working directly with Keynote.