Image needs to be adjusted inside mask FCE4

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Mary H, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Mary H macrumors regular

Hi,

I am trying to put a picture inside a mask to create a 'dream'. I created the bubble fine but when I put it over the picture (a building) I see mostly sky and just the top part of the building, not the part of the building I want.

I used Effects > Video Filters > Matte > Image Mask

Is there another sequence I can use or do I need to recreate my dream bubble to reflect the part of the building I want to show.

Thanks,
    Mary

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

Change your mask image to have the "bubble" be where you want to see the image. Think of mattes as cutting out a hole in a piece of black paper. What is lined up with the hole will show through.

3. Mary H thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!

Thanks,
    That's what I did do. I edited the photo to only have what I wanted to see and made the mask the full size.
    I had hoped there was a different option so I could have a multi mask with different photos or clips.
    Oh well, it is done now and looks not too bad :)

4. huntercr macrumors 65816

Oh you I see what you want to do. You can do this too...

Don't use the Matte effect...

Make sure your Mask picture is using an Alpha channel ( PSD file ) and import the file ( using the import function ) into your project. Then drag the file to a video track above the main track. You're done. You can also change the compositing mode to a Travel Matte based on Luma if you prefer by right clicking on the video track and select "Composite mode" and change it to Travel Matte Luma

Doing it this way allows you to add specific effects to the mask itself for some really cool stuff

5. Mary H thread starter macrumors regular

6. sbp9731 macrumors newbie

Hi Mary could u look at my post

I saw u were using FCE4 too and I was wondering if you would look at my post about the problem i am having with jpg stills and see if you have had this problem before and could possible help

thanks