image persistence is a pain

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Rab Simpson, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Rab Simpson macrumors regular

Rab Simpson

Hi folks,

I'm running an April 2009 iMac 24" and I have a particularly stubborn shadow on my display :(

Right now my desktop wallpaper is on a 5 second rotation, I've tried turning it off for hours at a time and I've tried using a plain white screensaver, but it doesn't appear to be budging.

Does anybody have any suggestions? (If you're a hater and you're going to suggest I trash it and buy a Winblows box, please refrain, I'm looking for serious suggestions that might actually help the issue.)

Cheers,
    Robert

2. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

It sounds like something has disrupted the display with a magnet. Could anyone have accedentally done this to you Mac while moving or tidying stuff?

Also do you have applecare? If it has been caused by a magnet or even excessive heat then it cant be repaired. The screen would need to be replaced.

3. Rab Simpson thread starter macrumors regular

Rab Simpson

The only things involving magnets (or magnetism) nearby are a couple of external HDDs. I can't imagine heat being the problem because even idle my fans are audible and so I'd imagine they're doing their job.

Using the methods I'd mentioned above I'd managed to get rid of the "ghost" for a short while but it wasn't long before it was back, so my reckoning is that it's just being stubborn and I'm hoping it isn't permanent.

I didn't take out Applecare when I first bought it as I could only just afford the machine itself :(

Cheers,
    Robert

4. Bobbytoad macrumors member

Bobbytoad

LCD's aren’t affected by magnets like old CRT monitors (where as your hard drive would be) - Also LCD's aren’t affected by screen burn before any one suggests that.
    can you take a pic and post it?

5. mstrze macrumors 68000

I keep reading this on this forum, yet my Westinghouse 42" flat panel LCD HDTV has the "No Signal Detected" box 'burned in' to my screen. It's not horribly noticeable, but it's there when you look for it. I have tried running white noise/snow to dislodge it, but it really and truly looks like what happened in the old days on CRTs when you had an image burned in to the screen...just a dimmer ghost of the image.

We also have LCD TVs here at my work which mirror a spreadsheet on a Windows desktop and they have the pattern of the spreadsheet lightly 'burned in' as well with the Windows taskbar the most noticeable feature. And we have several other HDTVs running CNBC 24/7 for the last 3-4 years and the crawl/ticker areas at the bottom of the screen are visible as well.

I know what everyone says about LCD displays, but my experience is that they can and do get a type of 'burn-in'. I would be happy to try and take a picture of my 42" TV ghost image, but I can't guarantee results. I'll give it a shot this weekend.

6. mstrze macrumors 68000

Robert,

I was just doing some research and heard an intriguing option:

Run a screen saver that cycles between a pure white full-screen image and a pure black one. It should change about every 5 or 6 seconds. After about an hour, the shadow should be gone.

I'd suggest keeping this as your screen saver from now on too. AND...change around your desktop icons and window positions to minimize this in the future.

Image persistence is indeed real...despite what others say. The liquid crystals can get locked into a position which leaves them unable to allow the full brightness of the backlight to shine through if they are constantly in one state/position for an extended period of time...hence we do indeed have our 'burn-in'.

7. Rab Simpson thread starter macrumors regular

Rab Simpson

Posting some just now.

screen1.jpg is the top left of the display, screen2.jpg is the bottom middle of the display and screen3.jpg is just above the middle of the display.

Ignore the discolouration, that's just the iPhone picking up the pixels at weird angles because it was close to the screen.

Cheers,
    Robert

Attached Files:

8. josh1231 macrumors regular

LCD can get screen burn, I left one one when I was on vacation for 2 weeks without a screen saver, and it had massive image burn from my wallpaper.

On a PC you can download programs that will cycle pixels, which will remove the burn fully.

I assume this can be done on a TV as well.

9. josh1231, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2011

josh1231 macrumors regular

Sorry if someone has already posted this, I didn't read through all posts. They make programs that cycle the screen. I have used them with success on LCD monitors to remove screen burn. Have you tried them?

10. Rab Simpson thread starter macrumors regular

Rab Simpson

Hi mstrze, thanks for looking into this.

I've got the LCD Scrub screensaver installed and the closest I can get to what you're suggesting appears to be "Rapid White/Black" which changes the screen from white to black what appears to be twice a second, without transition.

Any idea if that would do the trick?

Cheers,
    Robert

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I get it everyday but it always disappears overnight. If you have warranty left, take it to Apple

12. mstrze, Dec 10, 2010

mstrze macrumors 68000

Sounds like it would...give it a shot. :)

13. ryan42 macrumors 6502

ryan42

I also have this problem on my 30" Apple Cinema Display. It's a problem with S-IPS panels. Nothing to worry about, it's just annoying.

14. mstrze, Dec 14, 2010

mstrze macrumors 68000

15. Rab Simpson, Feb 5, 2011

Rab Simpson thread starter macrumors regular

Rab Simpson

Initially it did, and I kept the problem at bay for a while at least by shuffling through various wallpapers every 5 seconds, but it's come back again. See this thread.

If a mod could close this thread now that'd be great.

Cheers,
    Robert