Image Preview Icons Not Working...Help Please

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dziga, Nov 28, 2008.

1. dziga macrumors newbie

For some reason, my folders containing images (various formats) no longer will display a thumbnail preview of the image. I've gone to 'show view options' and clicked on 'show icon preview' but it's not working. Sometimes it gets hung up and if you uncheck and recheck the option, it will continue showing the preview icons, but not this time.

It had been working fine for months, now suddenly nothing. I know I can run the files through a third party icon maker, but I am dealing with large amounts of images and it takes too long.

Any ideas?

I am running 10.5.5 on an imac 2.16 2mb ram

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Have you tried the old repairing permissions fix? It often fixes mysterious things like this. It can't hurt to give it try, or even just relaunching the finder. (apple menu > force quit > relaunch finder)

3. dziga thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice, I tried both restarting the finder and repairing permissions and neither worked.

Any other ideas?

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Hmmm, well I wonder if you used a different app for viewing (such as Xee) would sort of kick start it. Click one of the files and do a Command-I (or right click "get info") and "open with" select the app, then "change all" for each type which isn't working. If you don't like Xee you can go back to Preview or whatever you prefer but doing that may be enough to get it to regenerate icon previews for you. It's just a thought.

edit: hell, for that matter just go in on one file and select another app (so that the "change all" button is active) and then go back to what you normally use and click "change all". That may be enough to regenerate those icon previews for you.

5. dziga thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again for the advice, but still no success. I tried what you suggested with Xee as well as Just Looking. No change at all.

This makes no sense and it's frustrating as all hell.

6. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Damn, I hoped that would work. Sometimes my icons go weird and that little trick with changing the app in get info usually sorts it out.

That is frustrating. I'm sorry I couldn't help.

7. dziga thread starter macrumors newbie

For anyone who reads this thread in the future, I shut down and restarted after trying all the previous suggestions and it now works fine. Don't know what exactly made it work, but I don't care as long as it does.

Thanks again for the help.

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

LOL, a restart helped? I always assume people try that first. That's what I get for assuming. :p What is it with mac users (myself included) and being so stubborn about restarting? hehe

Glad it's working now.

9. samsipsam` macrumors newbie

Worked first time. Thanks