Image Previews Won't Show Up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Axemantitan, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Axemantitan macrumors 6502

I had to recently replace my hard drive after it crashed and reinstall the OS. Since then, jpg images show up in the Finder only with a generic jpg icon. They used to show up with a preview of the actual image as their icons. This is also true of png images. How do I get them to go back to displaying previews? I am running 10.4.11 with all updates installed.

2. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

If it's a new install, give it time to process, they should appear eventually.

Alternatively, you can try a program called "cocathumbX' which can take the images you drop into it, and make those images into icons, while automatically attaching it to the files as it goes.

The size of the icons are not the largest, so I suggest testing it out to see if what the output is falls in line with that you deem acceptable. I find it looks alright for me when I do it to images that don't show image previews, but for Icons in the dock, it makes them blurry and small.

That is why I manually make the icon files if they are going to be in the dock, but for Images It's fine by me.

3. Axemantitan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the help, but I just figured out the problem. I went under the View menu in Finder and opened Show View Options and checked the Show Icon Preview option. Now it works properly. Thanks anyway.

4. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Ah, my bad.

I assumed you did that and the icons were not showing. They sometimes don't show for some images.