Image resolution in iMovie HD 6.0

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by macaddict23, Sep 14, 2007.

1. macaddict23 macrumors 6502

macaddict23

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a slideshow in iMovie, but the quality of the images in both the preview/working window and the final exported quicktime file is lousy! I tried dragging both jpgs and tiffs as well as 150dpi and 300 dpi images, and I've had no luck! Any ideas?

2. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

What is the iMovieHD project format? If you selected DV, then the photos get down-res'd to 720x480. Then, when you export, it may get even worse, depending on the export format.

How do you intend to view the slideshow? That will be a big factor in what application and format you select.

Incidentally, with iMovieHD, you could select an HDV project and your resolution would be 1920x1080. If you create your slide show in HDV and then exported to a smaller format, you might end up with slightly better results.

ALSO, if you're using the Ken Burns Effect (KBE) in your slideshow, perhaps you are using too much zoom. I know with my 3MP photos, I have to be careful of how much KBE zoom I use.

ft

3. macaddict23 thread starter macrumors 6502

macaddict23

The slideshow will be shown on a projector screen that's roughly 10 feet x 10 feet inside of a church. I certainly could use iPhoto, but I want to sync the photos to the rhythm and beat of the song that I have selected. I am using the Ken Burns Effect but with very little zoom.