Image Retention Issues: Worth taking in?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 576316, Sep 8, 2013.

1. 576316 macrumors 601

Hello! Sorry if this is similar to like a billion other threads on here, but my 15" Retina MacBook Pro refurb that I got in June has started showing signs of image retention. I hadn't noticed it before, but one of the first things I did was check what screen panel I have...just my luck to get an LG! It doesn't seem too serious, just things like the edges of a Safari screen still being visible against the dark blue galaxy background when I close it. I also did the checker board screen test last night and the squares were definitely still visible when I switched to grey.

I heard people saying that Apple won't just replace them, they'd want to test it themselves and then see if it fits into a category of "not normal." When was image retention ever a normal thing? Also, are they likely to offer me a replacement or will they want to fix the screen? I'm still well within warrantee so I presume any work would be free?

2. jettie1767 macrumors 6502

I have started to notice ghosting as well on my 2012 rMBP and took it to the Genius bar yesterday. They do have their own test for image retention which consist of the checkerboard test for 4 minutes. After the 4 minutes are up, the test passes or fails. In my case, they said that it did pass their test and they consider some ghosting normal.

3. yabot, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013

yabot macrumors regular

i got the sja2 and its amazing so far, sja1 was the one with the IR as far is im aware.

4. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I do suggest you get it checked, it will most likely get worst through time. Most of the people who get their screen replaced get Samsung panels, which does not seem to show IR. If you plan to keep it for more than 1 year and do not get it check / replaced before June of next year, suggest you get applecare so that you can extend the warranty for 2 additional years; Applecare can be purchased for the 15 for about $270 from BH Photo (versus its msrp of $350).

5. 576316 thread starter macrumors 601

Ouch. Maybe I'll get it checked out before my warranty is up. I rarely notice it but I think I'd like piece of mind that they consider this 'normal'. I plan to keep it for a good 3 years so...