image retention - new or refurb?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mentaluproar, Aug 18, 2013.

1. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

I'm looking at refurbished rMBPs and the one thing I am worried about is image retention problems. Would the June 2012 refurbs be more likely to exhibit IR than brand-new retina MBPs?

2. prospervic macrumors 6502

prospervic

Been using my Apple Certified refurb rMBP 15" since I received on June 12. Never had an IR problem once. Runs smooth and fast. And since Apple replaces the case, keyboard and battery, as well as runs thorough tests, it is, for all intents and purposes, a brand new machine.

3. Mr. Dee macrumors 65816

Mr. Dee

For every response like this, there is a image retention MacBook Pro waiting to happen. You might not experience it today, tomorrow or a few months from now, but its predestined.

4. prospervic macrumors 6502

prospervic

Thank's for the prognostication, Nostradamus. Care to give us next week's Mega Millions Lotto numbers as well?

You really believe Apple would put a known defective part BACK into remanufactured product? Get real.

Find a more useful pursuit than spreading FUD!

5. Acronyc macrumors 6502a

From personal experience I would just like to mention that IR can develop over time, at least on the 2012 models. I had a first revision LG screen on my 15" rMBP (built at the end of November 2012) that gave me no problems whatsoever for 7 months. Then one day IR started to appear and got progressively worse over a period of a few weeks. Apple installed a new Samsung screen and so far no IR or any other problems. I haven't used the second revision LG screen, but hopefully they have the IR issue sorted out.

6. lianlua macrumors 6502

It's impossible to say.

The image retention problem is most common with certain batches of the LG SJA1 panel used in some of the 2012 units. However, it happens in a small number of all retina displays in all retina MBP models.

A 2012 refurb purchased today has a much lower likelihood of developing IR than a 2012 unit bought new last summer. For one, most of the IR problems were sorted out during production, and you're less likely to get an early production unit more than a year later. Second, if your refurb was returned because of IR, or if it exhibited IR during the refurb testing, or if the display was otherwise damaged, it was replaced. The replacement displays are the newer parts.

Basically, the biggest chance of getting one with IR is to buy secondhand privately. Outside of that, there's not enough information to differentiate the risk vs. 2013 refurb or new.

7. leman macrumors 604

Tell this to my 12 month old LG panel which still looks as gorgeous as the day I got it :rolleyes:

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Do you have any proof that all rMBPs eventually succumb to IR? There are too many rMBPs such as mine that exhibit no such problems. Mine is a first gen rMBP and its been perfect.

I've not seen any news articles or responses from apple that states that every retina macbook pro will incur IR. If any such news did break, apple would have a massive class action suit on their hands.

I suspect this is more of your opinion that you're stating as fact

9. Tomerco macrumors member

I have the same dilemma as the OP, its either getting a 13" air, or 15" rmbp...
    If the refurbs gets checked out for IR so ill get that one...