Image Retention on 2012 27" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Dan415, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Dan415, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013

Dan415 macrumors member

I received my new 2012 27" iMac on Thursday and today after a few hours of web browsing I noticed when I closed the browser I could still see it on the screen... pretty bummed cause I already spent a ton of time migrating all my programs and files over to the new iMac. :(

Does anyone know if this is just temporary? Will it go away after a bit? I got AppleCare, so should I just wait and see if it fades away before returning it?

Attached Files:

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You can take a wait and see approach, but if it continues to happen, I'd take it in and get the screen replaced under warranty.

3. mushroomtip macrumors 6502

do a search on macrumors for " My 2012 27-inch iMac has image retention " there is like 7 pages of info .

4. AngelGuy7 macrumors regular

That specific image should fade away but the problem of image retention will likely not resolve itself. I'm returning my 2nd 2012 27" iMac because of the same problem (my first unit had a yellowish screen).

If you read through the forums you'll see that people are having a lot os issues with the 27" iMac screen. Something tell me that these screens are posing a big problem for Apple. Good luck!

5. itsamacthing macrumors 6502a

Return it... LG makes horrible LCDs. But yes, you should have done a search before posting. There are 2 other threads about this on here, and some on the official apple forum

6. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

Sorry to hear about the image retention. There are definitely 2012 iMacs that have none or very little of it. Mine is one of them. My 2008 had severe IR and even after getting it swapped it still had it. I'm wondering if it's due to heat. my 2008 had the BTO 3.06ghz CPU and BTO Video Card. You could have fried an egg on the back of it sometimes! My new 2012 is only BTO because of the FD.