Image Retention on mid 2015 15" rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LMD75, Jul 19, 2015.

1. LMD75 macrumors 6502

I just got hold of a brand new mid 2015 15" base model rMBP and the first thing I did was to check the screen uniformity, white point and IR test. The panel is an A02E and it has IR when the 10 minute checkerboard test is run. The screen is uniform and ok in terms of white point but I don't think it is as "snow white" compared to the units that they have in store.

I have not found much info on the A02E versus A02F 15" screen debate but is the A02E panel inferior compared to A02F?

It was bought from an official Apple Store but the return window has expired by about a week. What is Apple's standard practice on handing this? Will they replace the entire laptop or replace the screen? If the latter how long does it normally take?

2. LMD75, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015

LMD75 thread starter macrumors 6502

I contacted Apple Care this morning and made a Genius appointment. The Genius Bar staff member simply gave me a brand new replacement even though it was over the return date by 7 days. In fact he did not even do the IR test and only done their field test. The replacement panel is an A02F panel and the white point is perfect and "snow white" with no IR. I could not be happier :)

3. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

4. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

The A02F panel in the 2015 15" rMBP i've got is by far the whitest and most uniform panel I've had on a macbook or iOS device. I hadn't checked for image retention, but I don't notice it during normal use so I'm not gonna go looking for it. Glad they helped you out.