Image retention... (with pictures)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wim.v, Nov 19, 2013.

1. wim.v, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013

wim.v macrumors member

wim.v

I knew I would have problems with my new iMac...
    And yes, I'm disappointed!
    with the last 4 items I bought from Apple I had problems.

I bought an iPad2 in 2011 with severe light bleeding.
    I bought an iPad3 in 2012 which does not charge properly. +16 hours for a single charge.
    I bought an apple tv which was flashing black and white screens all the time.

So when I bought my iMac, Apple Care was a no brainer...
    I have yellow tinting (not severe) but got used to it and wanted to live with this issue. But now when I use my iMac for a couple of hours the screen warms up and the image retention appears.
    A lot of people suggest this is normal for this type of screen and the problem only appears after stress testing the machine.

The image retention on the login screen was there after I had shut down the machine for more than 15 minutes...

I'm going to call Apple this week for a replacement. How will they handle this? Will they send me a replacement first or do I have to send in the machine for repair?

I did not alter these pictures in any way. This is how I see the image retention.

Attached Files:

2. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I would say that you had a lot of bad luck. Call Apple and I am sure they will provide support. When did you buy your iMac? Is it the latest model?
    My brand new iMac has no image retention issues so far.

3. wim.v thread starter macrumors member

wim.v

It's a late 2013 iMac, bought 2 days after the announcement.

4. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Then you should get a replacement. When did the issue start?

5. wim.v thread starter macrumors member

wim.v

The first two weeks I did not use the iMac extensively so I did not notice the problem at all.
    Then I used it a whole day and at the end of the day I saw it for the first time.
    The first pictures of lightroom were from that night. The login screen was photographed this weekend.
    Now I know the problem's there I see it much more but not always that visible. As I said, how warmer the screen gets, the more noticable the image retention is.

6. r0bt macrumors newbie

I feel for you... Am currently in the process of replacing my 27" 2013 iMac for a display issue as well.

As to how I predict it will be handled. If it is anything like my own replacement: Apple initially said that they would replace the unit after i returned my defective one. I had to recontact Apple and explain that this was not acceptable as this was my main work machine and i could not do without it. I then had to request (the option was not offered) that they send me a replacement so i can migrate my data and settings, at which point i would return the faulty machine. My case was then referred to a local agent to handle. The local agent then contacted me, reviewed the case and it was agreed that they would send me a replacement before i return the faulty one. A 10 day window from receipt of the replacement was given in order to make the return, after which i will be billed for another unit if return has not been made.

Your post does not say if you bought a stock or upgraded machine. If it is stock i was informed that return and replace via Apple retail is possible.

Good luck, i hope it all works out for you. It'll be worth it in the end :)

7. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

I think that is the worst IR I've ever seen...WOW :eek:

Hope they make it right without any hassle.

8. lk400 macrumors 6502a

Thats fantastic serivce. In my local country, I dont think we get a "replacement" option at all, and certainly not a replacement before sending in the defective one.

May I ask how the replacement option works on BTO iMacs (if thats relevant to you)?

9. r0bt macrumors newbie

I had to wait for the replacement BTO of my spec to be assembled and shipped. 10 day return window from receipt of the replacement. The whole process is taking quite some time. But it'll get there eventually.

10. IA64 macrumors 6502

Out of curiosity, are you buying your Apple products from the same source ?

11. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

For mine it took 8 days in total. It was supposed to be handled with priority (according to Apple all replacements are handled that way), but this was obviously not the case. Apple even told me that the iMac would get send on a specific Monday, but this didn't happen. I emailed Tim Cook and I got a phone call from Apple customer relations. They sorted everything out. A day after that my iMac was at home and I was happy. Apple even gave me 100€ back as an apology...

12. jg321 macrumors 6502

Trying to judge from the pics but not totally sure... is this a 27"?

13. wim.v thread starter macrumors member

wim.v

27" BTO. Full option iMac with only 8GB of ram for now.

@IA64: iPad 2 and Apple TV from the same media store, iPad3 from an Apple retailer, iMac from the online Apple store... :(

14. Arfdog macrumors 6502

This is mostly an ignorance problem. If you don't use the proper charger and cable (the ones that came with the iPad), it will take a long time to charge. With the proper components, it takes 8 hours.

15. AppleDroid macrumors 6502a

Threads like these remind me why I'm adverse to buying AIO computers. Maybe the extra $ for the nMP is worth it.

16. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

He should defiantly take it back. Maybe waiting a few mouths to let his bad luck settle; eh.

17. wim.v thread starter macrumors member

wim.v

Will do. I can't miss a workstation for that long so waiting is not an option.
    And for the 'bad luck'... I don't think it's bad luck, I believe it has more to do with Apple not delivering quality products anymore...

18. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

My 2013 Imac started showing image retention about a month after I got it. Its weird at first if I left a window open for about 15 minutes when it was warm you would see the image. However later I changed the wallpaper and left the image on the screen for 45 minutes during dinner i couldnt see any retention at all. it seems very sporadic when it happens. sort of comes and goes.

I was under the impression that a good 90% of them had it. so I never exchanged it.

19. WilliamG macrumors 604

Threads like these are COMPARATIVELY few and far between. You'll always see people complaining rather than praising. My 27" iMacs have never, ever had even a hint of image retention.

20. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

How long can we leave windows in one position before a screen will begin to retain the image?

21. wim.v thread starter macrumors member

wim.v

As I mentioned before, it only happens after the computer is in use for some time. It happens after an hour of gaming, or after a few hours of photoshop...
    I'm not totally sure but I think that the image retention appears when the screen is warm enough... When the image retention appears, leaving a window with a white background for a few minutes at the same place is already problematic.

22. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

That's a bit unnerving. I'm a bit OCD with window positions and I want certain windows to be on certain parts of the screen so that I can access them fast when I need to. For example, having the photoshop tools in a different location every time you use photoshop is counter intuitive, at least in my opinion.

I have, however, set the screensaver to come on after only two minutes of inactivity. Hopefully, that will help prevent image retention a bit.

23. wim.v thread starter macrumors member

wim.v

I did the same thing. The screensaver definitely helps removing the IR. But it does not prevent it from happening. You aren't going to take a break every ten minutes, are you? :)

24. DannySP, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013

DannySP macrumors newbie

25. vhp3 macrumors regular

I have the same problem. But it only appears to happen when using lightroom. Once I reboot it goes away. Is it a graphics card glitch that can be resolved with an update? Not sure?. It does not happen when I am using bootcamp.