Image scaling problems with iphone - need advice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rezgre, Aug 16, 2008.

1. rezgre macrumors newbie

I'm determined to view comics on my iPhone 3g, and figured that I could unarchive cbr files, import the jpgs into iPhoto and then sync those photos into my iPhone to be later viewed.
    That worked, but the quality of the images becomes so poor that I cannot read any of the text on them.. therefore making it impossible to read my comics.
    Is there a way to go around this? Would making the images smaller on my computer and then syncing them keep the iphone from ruining the quality?
    Or are there any other possible methods of reading my comic books on the iphone?

2. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

you shouldnt have any issues if you take a HUGE high quality image and made it into a small high quality image. my husband is a photographer and has a bunch of his photos on his iphone to show off his pics to possible clients. He justs resizes them using photohop as a high quality jpeg and he can zoom in.

3. rezgre thread starter macrumors newbie

4. CartoonSnap macrumors newbie

I ran into the same frustrations, but luckily I just found out about the DataCase app for the iPhone. It was just about 6 or 7 bucks from the iTunes app store, and it lets you transfer files (including jpeg images and pdfs) to your iPhone without any degradation. It was really easy to start using, and I love it love it love it.

By the way...when you use iPhoto and iTunes to import images, the software automatically "optimizes" them to take up less room on the iPhone. Stupid. You can't turn that "optimization" off. It's not so bad on photos, but on comics (with fine linework and the text) it's a deal-breaker!

Other iPhone apps that claim to do the same are FileMagnet and Notes. I haven't tried those , but you may want to look into them. All these programs require a wifi connection to transfer the files, but once they're on your iPhone, you can view the files offline all you want.

Hope that helps!
    --sherm

5. santelia macrumors newbie

Do you feel comfortable in using it?

6. CartoonSnap macrumors newbie

Sure I feel comfortable...it's an Apple-approve app that I bought at the iTunes store. I have no reason to be concerned. The program is set up that nobody else can transfer files without your explicit permission. A little alert comes on the iPhone screen at the time of transfer, and you can approve or deny the transfer. No problems.

7. rezgre thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks cartoonsnap, I think I just may spend the money for that.