image size

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jenn221, May 14, 2007.

1. jenn221 macrumors member

jenn221

OK this will sound so dumb, because I always get these numbers mixed up.... but is 124 KB in a pic smaller or larger than 1200 K? I'm trying to upload some pics on a site and it's not accepting them.... Also does anyone have a link where I can study to understand what MB and KB and kb and all those letters mean in reference to size and how they compare to each other? this seems to always be my biggest issue than I can never resolve.:mad:

and please don't make fun :eek:

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

MB = Megabytes, Mb = Megabits. Megabits * 8 = Megabytes. (the same rule applies to KB and Kb)

Here's the acronym breakdown:
    8 bits = 1 byte. 1KB = 1,000 bytes. 1MB = 1,000KB. 1GB = 1,000MB. 1TB = 1,000GB. You get the idea.

So, if K in your example means Kb, then 124KB is larger. If K mean KB, then 124 is definitely smaller and your images probably violates height/width restrictions or something like that.

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

a Kilobyte is a Kb = K.

So in this case 124 Kb is smaller than 1200 K. The important part of data sizes is the first letter, the B or Byte is the common part of all data.

Anyway, onto Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilobyte

The important part is to memorize Kilo, Mega, and Giga. These are the prefixes used in science to represent 1 Thousand, 1 Million, and 1 Billion.

EDIT: In this thread you are probably going to get some very confusing (though accurate) answers. Bits and Bytes are different, but most of the time you are dealing with bytes (8 bits = 1 byte).

4. jenn221 thread starter macrumors member

jenn221

ok, I think I am starting to get it.... stupid myspace. They say the pic can't be bigger than 5MB. Then they say it can't be bigger than 1200 K. Anyways, sounds like my pic should be small enough..... gonna have to take it up with them I guess.

EDIT: sorry, I forgot to say THANK YOU!