ImageDebug & MaglevExpressTemp

Discussion in 'macOS' started by APlus84, Oct 23, 2009.

1. APlus84 macrumors member

APlus84

Since Snow Leopard upgrade, I have been getting unusual (unknown) cable modem activity. I am now finding ImageDebug and MaglevExpressTemp### folders in the Trash>Recovered files.

I've followed and posted on two threads. Did the things recommended that I could with my limited abilities - I can drive the computer but I don't know what makes it work. Still have the activity.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=779592&highlight=mDNSResponder

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=8523442&posted=1#post8523442

Could the ImageDebug and MaglevExpressTemp### folders have anything to do with the unexplained modem activity? Leopard didn't produce these files.

I have a router - wireless OFF, PC on LAN OFF (it just shares modem, MAC and PC have never talked to each other), all Sharing is unchecked, MouseWorks is only LogIn item, no items in Finder>Go>Network and Bonjour Browser shows 0-local.

Little Snitch shows the constant activity on mDNSResponder, alternating between ns.oceanic.com and dns2.oceanic.net (Oceanic [Time Warner] is my ISP). Total Sent and Received increase about 200K every 5 minutes.

The Recovered Files in the Trash after I've had this activity and do a Restart. I realize they are Temp files but never came across these before Snow Leopard.

ImageDebug folder with AutoPosToneMap.txt file in it. Open it, has Red, Green, Blue Map: with 16 lines of numbers each counting from 0 to 255, then 255 repeats for three lines. Then the same again and again.

MaglevExpressTemp### folder is empty. Goggled MaglevExpressTemp - one result is:

You are using Version 2.0 of the PatchManager ...
    You are using Version 2.0 of the PatchManager ###################################### General Machine Information The asc basepath is: c:\ The oracle home ...
    siteboss.academic.com/open_ts_diag_file?file=2009_5... - Similar

Click on the link and get:

Diagnostic file can not be found

PatchManager seems to be something for network administration. I'm just one little old guy sitting in his office. I don't have a network to administer.

I admit to being paranoid about my computer talking out of turn. Retirement does give one time to be obscure. Feel free to ignore me or have yourself a good cathartic release.

Take care. Doug

2. Dil macrumors newbie

Dil

Hello,

You are not alone. I have the same problem with ImageDebug and MaglevExpressTemp### folder. I don't know who produce these files, but I search...

Regards.

PS: links in your previous post are broken.

3. brianbobcat macrumors regular

Me Three

Hello,

I too have MaglevExpressTemp20893 and ImageDebug folders in my Trash under Recovered files. Question, did either of you just do a system update? I upgraded a bunch of things; Final Cut Pro, 10.6.2, iTunes, etc. and noticed these after that whole install process. I'm wondering if during install it "recovered" files from somewhere. I have another issue that may be related, and it's usually inconsequential tasks using up a fairly large chunk of CPU. Check it out here: http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=10657046#10657046

-Brian

4. APlus84 thread starter macrumors member

APlus84

Problem Solved for me

I fixed the links in my first post here. You might check them to see if you have similar symptoms.

Sort of off topic but I since doing the fix described below, I find my browsers don't like secure sites much. I get hangs toward the end of the page writes. No modem activity, just sits there for a bit before finishing. Odd. I may never understand how these 'puters work.

Following is a repeat of my last post on the MDNSResponder thread:

Four calls to Apple got no help. Even sent them the file from their Data Capture program - never heard from them again.

Turns out it was self inflicted but others who just drive these things and aren't wizard on the workings might find something similar.

Thank you michaelwithe21 for pointing me in the right direction by mentioning that my router was not acting as a gateway. Been busy with Power of Attorney for my parents' finances but did remember the comment.

I did not have a router when my cable modem was installed. I was running Tiger at the time, imported Settings when I moved to Leopard and did an Upgrade to Snow Leopard. The unknown modem activity did not start until the SL upgrade.

I don't know if this was automatic or the installer put them there originally but I found two addresses, grayed but visible, in the System Preferences>Network DNS Server field. They were my two ISP server addresses Little Snitch indicated were active when I had the activity.

Clicked Advanced and DNS. Added my router address with + IPv4 or IPv6 addresses. The two servers disappeared and now the router is the only address in the DNS Servers field.

No more Chatty Cathy.

I suppose those in the know think this obvious. I didn't.
    Doug

5. for329 macrumors member

Have you found what these folders and file are from because I just found them in my trash and wondering what they are from.

6. APlus84 thread starter macrumors member

APlus84

No. I still don't know what they are. Might be a question for folks more wizard on these things than we.

Since I made the router a gateway, the constant chat with my ISP servers doesn't start when I come out of Sleep so I don't have to reboot the computer every time. Just tried a Restart before answering. Found two MagLev folders and 1 ImageDebug. The ImageDebug folder was empty this time, use to have a text file.

Must not have anything to do with the constant modem and disc activity I had.

Might be brianbobcat (above) had something. I've had a few software updates since the last boot, maybe the Recovered files are the result of some mysterious inner workings of the computer after an update.

7. for329 macrumors member

Accroding to the date those folders/file were created I definitely did not install any updates the only thing that I done when it was created was scanning something to PDF on my HP printer over the network but I don't believe that is it because I have never had these folders before when scanning.

8. APlus84 thread starter macrumors member

APlus84

HP Printer, eh? Interesting.

Prior to Snow Leopard, I used the HP software for my OfficeJet 5610. SL downloaded its own software for the printer. Works better then HP's.

So, when you did your scan to PDF did you use Preview's Import From Scanner? That is what I do now. I did scan a few things before the Restart mentioned in yesterday's response. And I had the Recovered files in the Trash.

If so, we may have discovered something extraordinary and almost useless. Knowledge is never useless, some is just far more useful.

Doug

9. for329 macrumors member

10. Dil macrumors newbie

Dil

Bien vu !

I have a HP printer too. A Photosmart 3 in 1 with HP Scan Pro v7.4.5.

Let us focus on this item...

11. for329 macrumors member

Are you getting these files as well? Are you using Snow Leopard? and if so are using the drivers from HP or the ones included with Snow Leopard?

12. Dil macrumors newbie

Dil

Of course I have sometimes ImageDebug and MaglevExpressTempXXXX too.

My iMac run under SL 10.6.2 and I use drivers from SL.
    I always scan with Preview.app.

13. actionjaxson007 macrumors newbie

Hello, I too have the same issues. I have been having issues with my cable modem cutting in and out for about two weeks now, as mentioned in the first post in this thread. Don't really know if thats actually related but more importantly, I noticed that I had the imageDebug and MaglevExpressTemp files in my trash can after restarting my computer. Indeed, I scanned in two PDF files through my HP 2575xi about an hour prior to restarting my mac. I have emailed HP about the issue and hopefully they will respond with some technical info but not so sure since my printer is about 4 years old or more (out of warranty).

Also, after I restarted my mac I noticed that the Safari icon had been deleted from the dock bar. I put it back in the dock bar, and clicked on the option to "keep in dock" but when I restarted it again it was gone. Safari is working though, just had to access it through the Applications. don't really know if this is related to the same issue either. I will add any relevant info if I hear anything good from HP. thanks

14. szymonsz macrumors newbie

Same thing on Lion 10.7.1

Same here. Only in my case it's even worse because the scanner takes twice as long to scan to PDF than it would a week ago in any resolution above 75dpi. And it's not just my subjective impression. It will literally go up and down before actually scanning the document. So when I think it's done and open the lid turns out it hasn't even started yet. Has anyone found anything about that? I also posted the hp support and even talked to apple advisers but no one has been able to help so far.

15. dickguertin macrumors newbie

dickguertin

I'm having the same problem on Tiger (10.4.11), but ONLY when I "scan to pc" using my HP C4780 printer/scanner. I get the jpg-image, but can't find ImageDebug or MaglevExpressTemp### folders anywhere... until AFTER I Restart or Shutdown/Start. Then they appear in my "Recovered Files" folder in my Trash. Nothing else creates these folders. If I scan 5 documents, I get 5 of the Maglev... folders. Try scanning different numbers of documents to your computer (scan to pc). Mine appear in my Pictures folder with names like Scan 112610000.jpg (on my Mac-Mini). I've tried to search for them with Spotlight, but they don't exist until launchd processes terminate during Restart or Shutdown. Then they appear in my Trash upon Startup.

16. dickguertin, Sep 18, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013

dickguertin macrumors newbie

dickguertin

I found where these folders are hiding: /var/tmp/folders.501/TemporaryItems
    Of course the "501" is my uid, which may vary for others.
    It is fairly simple to write a script that deletes these folders.

$ cd /var/tmp/folders.501/TemporaryItems
    $ ls -ln
    drwxrwxrwx 3 501 0 102 Sep 18 16:11 ImageDebug
    drwxrwxrwx 2 501 0 68 Sep 18 16:11 MaglevExpressTemp467

The following code should work on any system:

mydir="/private/var"
    if [ -d "$mydir" ] ; then
    mytmp=$(find $mydir -name ImageDebug 2>/dev/null)
    if [ -n "$mytmp" ] ; then
    sudo rm -rf $mytmp
    mytmp=${mytmp%/ImageDebug}
    sudo rm -rf $mytmp/Maglev*
    fi
    fi

Note that you must be able to use "sudo" or be "root". My cleanup script becomes "root" for 5 minutes by using some thing like $HOME/admin which runs another script (admin) that becomes "root" without a keyed password. You can read about that here: https://sites.google.com/site/dickguertin/admin-scripts

17. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I am having the same problem in Lion! What gives?