Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

captainmeowtron

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
What I want to do, is create a thumbnails gallery that fades up three at a time, then you can mouseover each thumbnail to see a larger image. So. Here's what I've got:
I've made the swf animation of the thumbnails fading up, along with a nifty little animation of menu buttons popping down into the frame. Super. Now, when I try to make slices out of the thumbnails and then make a rollover state for each, it's not happening. It looks fine in the program, works perfectly. But when I export it and upload it, no dice. I get either just the animation of the thumbnails fading up, or I get a still image of the rollover state just stuck there.
What gives? Is it impossible for the rollovers and the fade-in animation to work together? Is it just too much?
Do I have to learn something else in order to do this- ASP or PHP or something? I know how to make a Javascript gallery, but it seems so boring and cheap without the animation to lively it up.
Any help you can offer is great.

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
Yeah, no rollover effects. Not on any page, just as you said.

Since you said it worked fine locally, I take it you mean you pressed control-enter in Flash to view. Looking at your HTML source you simply uploaded the single .swf file, I see no orphaned CSS style sheets nor any Javascript so you're not using Action Scripting. That tells me all the rollover actions are created within Flash internally. Is this right?

Since you might not be willing to part with your .fla so me or others can view your Flash source (I wouldn't), I can only offer this link to a tutorial for creating native button rollover effects in Flash so you can compare methods. Unless anyone else offers advice to the contrary, of course.

-jim

captainmeowtron

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
Thanks anyway, Jim. I was trying to create the gallery in ImageReady because I thought it would be easier. Hilarious. I just decided to go ahead and do it in Flash, more time consuming but it's working fine now. :rolleyes:

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
OKay. Just as a little FYI, according to Adobe:

With the release of the Creative Suite 3, ImageReady has officially been discontinued, and the expected reason is that since Adobe now owns Fireworks, they don't need ImageReady, and will continue to develop Fireworks instead. There is some ImageReady-style functionality in CS3 found via File > Save For Web & Devices.

These days I see alot of folks using Fireworks merely to create the button rollover images, the actual rollover trigger event (i.e. mouse over) is set in Flash via the "Over" keyframe, etc., as mentioned in the tutorial. Is that basically what you ended up doing, even if you created the content images/buttons via ImageReady?

FYI only, great you got it working!

-jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.