images burn into my mac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by thefriendshipmachine, May 17, 2017.

1. thefriendshipmachine macrumors member

hi friends

I have an imac with the retina screen and as you can see from these pictures:

http://imgur.com/a/OOmo3

images burn into it. I have found apple's article about this issue but they say the fix is to use a screen saver. I have tried this but it does not fix the problem, I think because images are burning into the screen after being display for even just 1 minute. That means, I would have to switch to the screen saver after doing everything like even writing this forum post to delete the burn in :(

2. Lunder89 macrumors regular

Lunder89

If you mac is still within the warranty period, make sure to get the screen replaced.

I had this problem with my old 15" 2013 MBPr, and it is terrible to live with.

If your Mac is out of warranty, maybe it is still an idea to find out, what a screen replacement costs.
    What iMac is it?

3. thefriendshipmachine thread starter macrumors member

It is the first version of the retina ones. I am not at work so I cant know for sure. I have warranty still though and will try and get a new screen but ive been reading the forum and people here say that it occurs on all screens :(

I have found this tool https://michelf.ca/projects/black-light/ and if I set dim-screen on the 2nd weakest setting then it makes retention happen less but it is still noticeable :(

4. hurtmemore macrumors member

Is this screen burn permanent? Or fades away as new images burn in?

Thinking about getting an iMac later this year, but I work on photos for long hours and a bit concerned what type of image retention is 'normal.' If you were to fullscreen something, would the menubar always be burned in?

5. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Yeah

Looks familiar, .. my 2009 imac has some tattooes as i like to call them.

6. Lunder89 macrumors regular

Lunder89

All Retina iMacs are IPS display panels, and image retention is a weakness in IPS display technology. But if it occurs after just 1 minute, the panel is faulty. My late 2015 iMac takes at least 20-40 minutes before I can even skim it. (On a grey desktop with full brightness, and my nose in the display. If there is a regular desktop picture, no problem)

A few good tips though:
    1. When you leave the Mac to do some work on its own, use Amphetamine to keep the system awake, set a screensaver after say 5 minutes. But still stay awake.
    2. If you leave the Mac, and don't need it to continue on something, setup an active screen corner, to either turn off the display or activate the screen saver (what ever floats your boat, I like the flurry screen saver going on on my Mac)
    The image retention will go away after a couple of minutes. But it is still annoying. I can without a problem work for long time periods on my iMac like iMovie and screencast projects. But I also use a screen saver every time I leave the Mac to do something on its own (like exporting), and I do take som brakes every 1 hour or so, I need to stand up and move around a little, and those few minutes on the screensaver, saves the screen. I could maybe see some retention if I bothered setting my desktop to a grey or white color, but as longs as I can't see it, I never think about it.

I wouldn't worry about it, only very few display panels get very bad.

7. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I just had the screen replaced on my late 2014 5K iMac. I was getting really bad. If you have Apple Care it would be silly not to get the screen replaced before it runs out even if it's not that bad.

8. thefriendshipmachine thread starter macrumors member

will your new one develop retention also?

are you sure? I found many threads here where the people are complaining that it happens to all their replacement monitors too. I am just scared of it because it only has warranty for another few months so I fear they will give me a new monitor, it will get it too, and then ill be out of warranty!

After one minute-ish the image burns in and doesnt go away for another 3 minutes I'd say.

9. Lunder89 macrumors regular

Lunder89

When they replace your display panel, the display panel has a fresh warranty of its own. Or at least thats how it works here in denmark.

I don't have Apple Care on my unit. In denmark the regular warranty spans for two years. And as for image retention, if I hadn't read about it here on Macrumors forums, I would even had known my display had the problem. I still don't notice it, unless I force it. And I have to have something on the screen for a bare minimum of 20 minutes, even after 40 minutes, I can still barely see it, when pressing my eyes to the screen.

IPS panels does have this weakness, so getting a replacement in my case, will be impossible, it will have to get worse first.

10. thefriendshipmachine thread starter macrumors member

I am just scared because my screen did not used to do this and it went bad over time so I am worried it will again too.

11. Lunder89 macrumors regular

Lunder89

I understand. I wasn't very pleased when I discovered that Apple still used the stupid LG panels, that sometimes develop this fault, when Samsung makes so much better IPS panels. But since I rarely spend more than an hour in the same app, without activating the screen saver at some point, I just never got to see the image retention. One benefit of being unable to sit still for more than an hour :cool:

12. thefriendshipmachine thread starter macrumors member

Apple got back to me and told me image persistence is normal. I told the person at apple care that I don't think this is normal and he asked me to send him an email explaining why not so he could forward it to the technicians who told us this is normal.

I sent him a video I made where I played a 2 minute youtube video in Safari which gets burned in for 6 minutes.

I have no idea what I will do if they keep telling me this is normal. Is it possible to take Apple to small claims court? For an expensive computer like this, where I paid a lot for apple care also, I would hate to go down a legal path but I will if I need to and its possible and realistic, because this expensive mac is broken and I've even paid for protection so ignoring me isn't right.

13. Lunder89 macrumors regular

Lunder89

Right now, you are doing the right thing, this amount of image retention is not normal.
    If you can find other people who have had the same problem as you, refer Apple to that. That was a part of what I did when I had to go through the same stupid arguments, when my MacBook Pro's display started with this.

It is a terrible job, but you have to find enough "evidence" and cases similar to yours, that you can refer Apple to, to prove you deserve a replacement display.
    Finding it on MacRumors should be fairly easy.

Also if you could find a thread in the Apples forums (Apples own community) regarding this problem, and where people write about the replacement they have had, refer Apple to that.

Basically drown them in evidence that other people are having their displays replaced, it will be very hard for the supporter in the other end to turn you down.

And the best idea might be to copy a couple of post from the various forums, paste them into a document, along with the links to the various threads you have found, then go to a local Apple Store, and talk to them in person, show them the problem in-store of possible, if they then start to say it is normal, then you refer to the threads and ask why others can replacements of their displays with the same error, when you can't. Show them the paper with the best forum posts, and the links to more. Basically let them know these screen replacements happens often for this problem. And you too are unlucky.

And of course, don't forget the praise the product, you like it, it does a lot of good for you. (In terms, give the poor supporter a bad conscious for turning you away).

Don't make any threats, be nice, but firm.

Those are the best advises I can give, from someone who have dealt with problematic customer support a couple of times.

14. thefriendshipmachine thread starter macrumors member

It has now been nearly 2 weeks since I send them the video of the retention and they havent replied yet. I called the support gentleman and he didnt reply, but he responded to my email the next day saying they are still looking into it.

:(