Images / icons / rotate

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ribenacartons, Apr 21, 2009.

1. ribenacartons macrumors newbie

Ok, so i've always seemed to have had this issue with mac, when it comes to having jpegs in a folder in Finder, but they need to be rotated.

When i open up the jpegs in the preview window i can rotate it and will ask me to save it. Despite this, the icon stays the same and the image still is not opening up in its rotated state.

I know i could probably sort this out through photoshop / iphoto, but this is very long winded. I have even tried the automator app to try and sort it, but again its also long winded.

Windows always had the option to rotate the image in the preview window and that was that. saved.
    I want it to be that simple again.

Anyone got any simple ideas for this?

Thanks!

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I don't have a ready solution, but I find this odd. Preview's rotate function has always worked for me. I just tested to be sure, and I can rotate, save, close, and reopen an image exactly as expected.

Are you renaming the file when you save it? Give that a try.

3. ribenacartons thread starter macrumors newbie

I just tried opening it in preview and then saving it with a new name, but that hasnt worked either.

I'm pretty sure that when i rotated images they would stay rotated, although the actual icon would never rotate, which i find annoying at times.
    But now, even when i rotate and save, and then reopen the file, its not at the rotated state i saved it as.

it is very odd indeed.

also for reference, i prefer to use the finder to store my files, and not use a photo album, so i'd quite like a solution within preview, or a simple way of saving them to how i want, without having to have some sort of photo app.

4. MacMaker macrumors newbie

I am facing the same problem..I flip to Horizontal then save..but Preview showing me as old (without flip).

But when I tied on other Mac it worked. Both have same OS and Preview versions.

If anyone have any idea please share with us.

5. ribenacartons thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, i've resolved my problem, but only by chance that i had a family member that had a version of Leopard for me to install. I just tried the rotating option in preview, and it works, even the icon in the finder window rotates, which is exactly what i wanted.

It seems updating to Leopard is the way to go.

6. MacMaker macrumors newbie

So you mean it is Tiger (X.4) problem. We can't have in Preview if we have Mac Tiger?

7. ribenacartons thread starter macrumors newbie

It could be Tigers problem yeh. But then it could just be the way the finder window is built in tiger, and they've improved it in Leopard.
    I never really liked the finder window, but i definitely do like the leopard version.

either way i recommend changing to leopard if you get the chance.

Sorry i didnt find a more simple solution to the problem.